Disco Td5 won't rev past 3000

v8bobber

Hi all

I have recently bought a Td5 Disco which isn't running right in that it will not rev past about 2500-3000 rpm.

I have changed the injector loom and cleared out the oil in plugs as this needed doing anyway and changed the fuel filter too. I have checked the ECU and there is no oil in it.

The vehicle starts and idles nicely and it is only when you try to take the revs past 2500 then it plays up.

From much Googling it seems that it could either possibly be the wastegate modulator or the fuel pump on its way out.

I have a nanocom which shows no faults stored.

Any experiences of this?

Cheers,

Dave

Check all the turbo pipes too, there could be a split there somewhere. Not just visually, get your hand around the back checking for holes.

The wastegate is really easy to check, take the turbo heat shield off, remove the circlip from the arm and take the arm off. The gate should be completely unimpeded. Free it by working it but do not put any lubricant that will carbonise into it like WD40. It's not a hard rule, but usually if it's overboosting hard, the car will go into limp mode which you don't seem to have.

Is the fuel pump loud?

Just noticed you have a Nanocom - check the AFM as I suggested, if that doesn't work, connect the AFM back up and run a logging session on the Nanocom inputs and post the resulting file - although it may not be reporting errors you can tell a lot about what's happening from the input log, including if the turbo is working.