Rather nice toolbox build

Just found this via Hackaday, a pair of mobile toolboxes built by him off of Mythbusters when he was working at ILM:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/adam-savages-mythbusters-toolbox-78239/

It starts with a chap wanting to re-create them and then the man himself chimes in, his tool list is quite impressive too.

Ahh, my toolboxes. Obsessed with working quickly, I've spent years designing toolboxes with what I call 'First Order Retrievability'.
That is, that nothing need be moved out of the way to get to anything else.

Above is version 2.0. The Scissor lifts are so that, when seated, I needn't lean over too far to get to the tool I need.

post-21-0-99195200-1425386368_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Now that is very impressive, I'm looking to build a decent tool cart/service trolley as it's getting old fast walking back and forth for a forgotten tool :(

Going to have to knock my own up as nothing HD enough for shunting around the stables and around the yard.

you have no idea how much a tool cart makes a difference to life in the workshop, so long as it is well set up!

sorry for the carp photos, my windows phone decided to die on me, right at the moment (Mildly miffed up) where i exclaimed it would NOT die, and threw it on the floor and stamped on it, these are taken with the tablet as a result.

90% of the jobs i do now i dont have to go near my stack! when i do, there is space for the tools (as you can see here) on top in a neat arrangement.

i am one of those "leave tools on every single surface possible then spend an hour looking for that ratchet or extension" poeple, but ever since getting this, i have been able to keep things much neater much easier.

this is as left after removing and stripping my series geabox due to a 50p pin breaking. no tools on benches, or the ramp, or the floor etc :)

and so much quicker!

post-13725-0-81994300-1427908142_thumb.jpg

screwdrivers go here

post-13725-0-82039200-1427908175_thumb.jpg

hammers, pry bars, common pliers and ratchet spanners

post-13725-0-98284700-1427908195_thumb.jpg

1/4&3/8 socket set along with 1/2" metric impact sockets, drain plug kets, e torx sockets, and torque wrench

post-13725-0-14032600-1427908230_thumb.jpg

anything from the other box temporarily resides here during a job

post-13725-0-79008500-1427908244_thumb.jpg

impact gun, drill, inspection lamp etc hang off here:

post-13725-0-02605500-1427908263_thumb.jpg

so so much more useful than to and froing from the main stack! having everything to hand and not underneath other tools having to root around!

Nice!

I have sketched up what I want and will be making a couple of purchases for steel, wheels and a roller draw set, only going for basic thing now to get me going but with provision to add more to it later on, ideally I also want to bolt my stick welder on it too as there are numerous times that I have needed it on hand and then had to wander off the other side of the farm for it, the MIG can stay in the cupboard for now until it gets it's purpose built cart to be dragged around on.

How much have you got invested in that Mikey?

not exactly sure, the cart itself was a steal off our favorite generic internet auction site, i think £80, some go for less, brand new. ball bearing runners, independant drawer latches. it beats my halfords proffesional boxes hands down for quality, and comes with a warranty.

the only thing is the castors arent really the best, ideally i would get some decent ones (Soft wheels) and 4x swivel rather than 2x fixed.

if theres one thing you have to splash out on, its castors! you must go for some good quality castors! otherwise the whole box and its contents will rattle over rough concrete!

Pffffft if you can get all the man tools in one drawer your still a hobbyist ( insert masked smiley )

I'd have thought one of those little dolly trailers/ carts with pneumatic tyres with a 40" rollcab or top box on it would be a handy thing, that way you can have all your tools in one place.

Will.

Amateurs... still stuck thinking inside the box lol

Years ago I built up a peg board tool display... all my spanners, sockets, ball penn hammers and common grabbed tools are there... at a glance I can see its not there, no wasted time searching through draws to find the tool a mate has used (or I've forgotten I've used...) bonus with the peg board is its easy to modify... in fact its due for a make over as I've just updated my socket sets and will need to add some more tools that I'm using from the draws

I do have draws underneath but they are for the specialized stuff... panel beating tools, taps dies etc

As for the portability thing I set the whole thing up on casters so I could move it round the shop lol I found I don't... thing is if I move it, I take it further away from somewhere else that i find I need it so I just have to move it again... where it is in the middle of the shop is good its where I have to walk past to go from a project to the work bench, it is right next to the fab table... its not in the way where I'm working and close enough

Something I do move around alot is a collection of "work stand-step ladder-tool tray" things that I've made from scrap or recycled steel that are spreed around the shop.... just need to come up with a design that stacks so I can save some space when not in use

<Sigh>

Had put thoughts of purchasing a proper cart to the back of my mind till yesterday...then I read this, went outside to start fixing my Disco 2 (which had lunched its serp belt). I realised my makeshift solution was, frankly, carp:

16416993404_535500a36b_z.jpg

I'm glad those 'Murican Pro chests are decent quality, may have to break out the credit card...again.

Oh and ignore the 'blue box'....it's what Paddocks used to pack my order...honest.

here is a link to their website, although there are better deals on eBay most of the time, couldnt find any today, mine was £80 brand new delivered.

you will want rubber castors on them though, and the two drawers dont come with liners, but the top does. i cut some liners out of some EVA foam

They do look good - though I don't have the floor space to warrant one inside and it wouldn't work on the gravel yard I work on the 90 in - so I've just used one of those cantilever type boxes .... But I still end up going back to the big cabinet all the time.