S11A chassis alignment

De Ranged

Got the front axle under the camper but I need to set ride height for the front axle suspension mounts (so the rubber mounts are neutral at ride height)

Have used the top of the center drop section as level with the floor, and there for the level of the truck ... just thought I'd confirm this with some of the more knowledgeable as it looks like the front axle has alot less room for up travel

I've noticed that Bill lol then add in previous rust repairs and warpage from what I've done.... but all that said it is a datum and best I've got to work off floor level isn't an option (my workshop used to be an old pet food plant so the floor is slopped to drain, and to make it worse the truck is sitting on a corner where three areas drain too...) kinda funny when I see these american builds with there big heavy UB chassis tables that are ground flat, I'm working off jack stands with bits of offcuts as packers/shims a collection of magnets to hold my straight edge in place, a couple of plumb bobs and a digital level

Been doing a bit of research from the plans I've found on line.... my assumption is right, so after lunch I'll be heading in to weld it in place

Im definitely with Bill on this one--the tolerances for Landrover chassis are terrible. Im currently widening a Series 3 109 chassis to accommodate Nissan leaf sprung axles and have found none of dimensions listed from the factory are even close to spec-some varying by nearly 25mm!

Thats exactly the same problem i've found also in my measurements. Also the axle centreline measurements differ significantly between the left and right chassis rails. Ive found this is due to the rear spring, front outrigger being incorrectly positioned on the chassis and, on the front, the RHS front spring mount has also been not positioned correctly. All the welds look original so can only assume it came from the factory this way!

A number of Land Rover's metric conversions as printed alongside imperial dimensions on the chassis diagram as printed in the workshop manual are NOT correct.

And some S3 diagrams show the engine crossmember in the wrong place or something. (Took me about 1/2 hour to rumble why I couldn't get a couple of measurements right. Haynes was RIGHT!)

I found more rust that needs replaring yesterday... that kinda destroyed my motivation (that and the heat lol) so I started measuring up all the chassis's I have here SII shorty, SIII shorty, S11a long and half of another SIIa long lol yea..... if I'd done this right at the start I wouldn't have bothered being picky.... the worst measurement was chassis width from 760mm to 830mm, floor resting tabs, the loops that support the floor and deck.... non of them matched between floor and deck closest was the Sii shorty at 0.7 degrees difference now this might sound picky but lets consider the roof on a 109" with a 1.0 degree difference that is around 1 1/2"s of miss-alignment at one end or the other... its no bloody wonder they leak lol

After measuring all this two things stood out.... I'm not going to be picky lol about where my datum level is (I've just picked a section of the cabin floor that matches both sides and that will be it) currently got a piece of box section sitting there as a straight edge to measure off

Second I'm going to remove all the rear deck mounts and re-weld them in parallel as they were 0.8 degree's out of true with the floor lol

When I decided to fabricate a solid front bumper for my Series IIA "toy", I really didn't know what level to match it to. Nothing really matched anything else. Mind you, this one has had replacement (possibly home-made) front legs and very wobbly guards. In the end, I decided if I jacked the car so it looked level and I made the bumper level to the floor, it would be good enough. It is. I suppose! I like it that way - I can always shift the blame away from my appalling workshop skills and blame the factory...

I don't think box sections formed from 4 thin plates welded on all corners over the entire length have got a hope in hell of ending up square, straight and consistent. Surely there were better and cheaper ways of making chassis in 1948, even allowing for Rover's claim that there was no money available for press dies and other tooling.

I don't think box sections formed from 4 thin plates welded on all corners over the entire length have got a hope in hell of ending up square, straight and consistent. Surely there were better and cheaper ways of making chassis in 1948, even allowing for Rover's claim that there was no money available for press dies and other tooling.

Well, it worked! To the tune of a couple of million Land Rovers.

It's not like the suspension systems, steering systems or even braking system early on were going to notice a degree or two of chassis alignment error...

• 3 weeks later...

De Ranged, ive had similar differences in width with the S3 109 chassis that im working on. And alignment left to right is just as bad. I've now used a piece of solid round bar machined down to the same dimension as the front chassis bushes, pressed in place of the front chassis bushes to keep the 2 rails in some sort of parallel. The 2 rails even vary in width quite a fair bit from front to rear!