Tig Welders

HoSS

I've been meaning to get into TIG welding for some time, and with my project requiring a custom inlet manifold and a few other ali things fabricated i'm considering it.

I dont have an infinite budget, and was looking at the TIGs that machine mart do. So is there any point in getting a budget model, or should i save my pennies for a better one?

Would there be any recommendations from the range? http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/search/filter/plasma-cutters-arctig-welders/type/any/module/shopcategory/page/1

No ......you need something decent....those are dire

I have no experince of / but have had good reports of R-Tech Stuff .........http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/

Have used and rate http://www.migtigarc.co.uk/TIG_Welder/Thermal_Arc_Victor_202_ACDC_Ti/thermal_arc_victor_202_acdc_tig_welder_.html

Nige

My TIG instructor said you need to spend money, cheap sets are carp. He recommended R-Tech, they have an ebay shop and he brought a high quality shop-soiled display model from them for about half price, and the only thing wrong with it he could find was a chip in the paint

Well i never like buy cheap carp, so i guess my budget is what i can get the first decent model for, i suppose 3-400 quid if possible.

Why do i need AC/DC?

And of those features advertised on those better models (HF Arc start, Lift start, pulse shaping) which should i put on my list?

I'd assume the same advice as MIG applies: Good 2nd hand units are better than cheap new ones for the same money. Although not everything at machine mart is rubbish, a cheap low-end unit from them is going to be quite nasty.

A good used unit by a known brand (Esab, Murex, Miller, Butters, Cebora) you can get bits for and keep going.

HF means you just press the trigger and it starts

Lift start is normally on dudget machines, you touch the surface and then lift and it starts - not great for tip points :lol:

DC = Steel and Stainless

AC= Aliuminium as well

A decent AC set new or S/H is going to be expensive, do you really wnat AC ?

Hmm.I should ask a parallel question - has anyone had decent results using Alu wire in a MIG. I tried this some years ago but it was a real mess.

Put it this way, the bits of metal were somewhat joined, but i wouldnt call it airtight ;)

Worth a risk?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIG-WELDER-AC-DC-SPARES-OR-REPAIR-TORCH-EARTH-CLAMP-ARC-WELDING-PICKUP-OR-POSTED-/251500422358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8e97e4d6

I am an electonics engineer - if is not a bit expensive lump that causes the problem i can probably fix,

Another thought.. If i could find a unit that was AC/DC and also a plasma cutter, i could probably justify a higher budget.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welding-all-in-1-set-AC-DC-TIG-ARC-200S-Welder-PULSE-PLASMA-CUTTER-equipment-/151274242934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2338a5c376

One thing to check is the duty cycle, some of the cheaper sets and expensive ones have a very low duty rating, often quoted as amps@60%

Oddly enough I bought a little 140 ampscratch start inverter set about 10 years ago that had a far higher duty cycle than comparable proffesional units, made by ................Draper, of all people, the one and only item of Draper tooling in my possesion.

Still going strong now after repairing cars/trucks and building boats.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately i dont have the luxury of 3 phase,

I just got the R-Tech AC/DC201 tig welder. You are right they aint cheep.

But what a great machine. Highly recomended.

post-19862-0-04562300-1399184782_thumb.jpg

Thought about making one of these

post-19862-0-19233700-1399184056.jpg

But after more research, came up with this idea

Cheap and made from bits of scrap

post-19862-0-48263300-1399184930_thumb.jpg

post-19862-0-04067900-1399185415_thumb.jpg

post-19862-0-05722800-1399185504_thumb.jpg

post-19862-0-99964700-1399185415_thumb.jpg

Now Just got to make a 4inch curved y connector to join them both.

It may be totally useless, but i have enjoyed making

and testing my ali tig welding out.

Very nice Bingy.

Since i have no chance of affording a decent TIG in the near future, is there anyone out there who could weld up an ALu inlet plenum for me. It would be all cut & prepared and in a jig,,, oh and modify an alu sump too.