TD5 - Engine Origin

Anglo-Frenchman

Today I went to have a look at a 2002 td5 Disco SX for sale (and with which I am quite smitten I have to say). During the course of the conversation with the French vendor he happened to mention that his local LR dealership had said that the td5 engine was manufactured in Italy. I was quite surprised because I thought/assumed that the BMW 5 pot unit came from the 'Fatherland' - or is it a case of desgined by the Germans and made by the Italians? Could someone perhaps shed some light on this please. Thanks

Ged

Today I went to have a look at a 2002 td5 Disco SX for sale (and with which I am quite smitten I have to say). During the course of the conversation with the French vendor he happened to mention that his local LR dealership had said that the td5 engine was manufactured in Italy. I was quite surprised because I thought/assumed that the BMW 5 pot unit came from the 'Fatherland' - or is it a case of desgined by the Germans and made by the Italians? Could someone perhaps shed some light on this please. Thanks

Ged

I pretty sure the Td5 is a Land Rover designed/manufactured engine - not sure where its assembled, although I would not have thought Italy. The older VM engines as per classic RR were Italian.

Mark

It really pee's me off that everyone assumes the TD5 is a BMW unit,whatever you think of it the TD5 has done well - its a good engine,esp against an autobox.Its Land Rover - even the fuel system is Lucas/Delphi - whatever you want to call it.

On a lighter note I am also really happy how good the TDV8 is compared to the TD6 BMW engine - the BMW engine went OK,but it was always too noisy in the L322 for what it was meant to be and how much it cost.

Thanks to all who have offered advice and info. Thanks Ralph for theat link -very interesting indeed. That price for the discs and pads looks very good indeed even with carriage to France!

Ally: Sorry for the TD5 confusion and no offence meant! I'm sure its a common misconception and I am appalled at my ignorance. Glad to know that its a LR engine at least. Are there any downloadable service manuals for the TD5 unit?

Ged

No, Anglo - its me that should say sorry ! I didnt word my thoughts very well,what I meant was the number of times I have heard sales/service and techs in the LR trade talk about the TD5 engine being a BMW design - they ought to know better! Its no wonder so many people get it wrong.

Ged

Re the original question, the TD5 motor is definitely a Land Rover "in house" design. It was supposed to be made more modular so that a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder derivative could be manufacturered based on this same design, so presumably a 4 cylinder version for the Freelander and a 6 cylinder version for a Range Rover. But BMW purchased Land Rover in 1994 and canned the 4 and 6 cylinder derivatives, so the TD5 remained.

Shame to see this engine go, after only a run of 8 years production, now that the DII is obsoleted and the Ford Puma/Transit engine has made its way into the Defender.

I tried the download too, and it didn't work after the count down had finished. :(

Lawrance Lee

'99 DII V8 auto

Melbourne, Australia

It seems to be a problem with their site. If you check your connection, you will see that it is actually downloading but doesn't really show you it. The progress bar doesn't get updated very often. And to download 46Mb without knowing whether it is doing anything or not is a bit trying. I used to use Bestsharing until they went pop, and a lot of the other file hosting sites want money which I am not prepared to spend, either to upload or for you to download.

If all else fails I can send you a DVD with three separate Raves on it and just about every electronic LR manual known to mankind.