300TDI LIFT PUMP 1995

Frax

Nice one Wabbit the Bearmach pulley turned up yesterday. No fault of LRDirect who I asked to deliver quick. They did post it next day but the delivery company dropped it off at the wrong house, just my luck. Great quality pulley though - fitted and back on the road at last..

I will do that, I am hoping to get some miles on her before I ever have to take another radiator out. Its not a bad job to do but when you take it apart 4 times in one month it gets a bit to much.

Thank you for your help - if you had not told me about the pulley I would have never known and I could see me having to do this on a regular basis.

No probs, we're all here to help each other, I really enjoyed reading your build thread, thanks for going to the trouble of documenting your rebuild :)

I hope your radiator gets a chance to stay in place for a good while now :)

BTW it is possible to do the timing belt without removing the radiator or disconnecting any pipework, you can place a cut through the bottom part of the radiator cowling which allows it to be removed without taking the radiator out, the cowling is very flexible (mine had been cut by the previous owner). Once the cowling and fan are out of the way you have enough space to do the timing belt.

I could do it without removing the radiator but after the first time when I got it one tooth out :blush: I like to see what I am doing. It would be easy as I have an electric fan. Saying that I have done the job so often now that I am a lot more confident.

Glad you liked the build thread - I enjoyed doing it and still read over it now and then. :i-m_so_happy:

Genuine ERR5057 You can take the top off to clean the internal filter

Delphi 0E HFP 502

ERR5057.jpg

I bought one of these 6 months ago thinking that it was a wise investment spenidng more - well it's not. I have found out that it has failed in the same way as a Britpart one usually does. So I fitted a spare Blue Box pump I had as a get me home. The Britpart pump had a crack running all the way around one of the mounting flanges where the pivot pin had been forced in!!!!

There is no quality lift pump available for under £70 for a 300tdi..........

There was evidence of engine oil having reached in there, but I will add oil anyway when I fit the new one. I'm just miffed at paying more for a supposedly better Delphi item to find it is as a bad as a Britpart item (a non cracked one!)

I will post up a photo of the Britpart one once I have removed it. Cracked out of the box and fitted out of Sunday 11pm necessity....

Wingnut I thought I was the unlucky one, I landed up not fitting my new pump as the old one was OK so will just keep it for a spare. :closedeyes:

Went for a run today - 70 mile round trip pulling a 2 ton trailer (nothing like breaking it in gently). All went OK except I have an annoying squeak which seams to be speed related and only happens when the engine is pulling. :blush: .....something else to look at....vibs at 50 mph + but may need to balance my tires and check my UJ's. Never a dull moment.. :rolleyes:

Wingnut I thought I was the unlucky one, I landed up not fitting my new pump as the old one was OK so will just keep it for a spare. :closedeyes:

Went for a run today - 70 mile round trip pulling a 2 ton trailer (nothing like breaking it in gently). All went OK except I have an annoying squeak which seams to be speed related and only happens when the engine is pulling. :blush: .....something else to look at....vibs at 50 mph + but may need to balance my tires and check my UJ's. Never a dull moment.. :rolleyes:

I often get a squeak when pulling under load, and I tend to cure it by cleaning the crankshaft pulley grooves with a toothbrush. Dust/grime gets in there and makes the serpentine belt squeel. Check all your pulleys for dirt cheers P

Tires balanced today and still vibrating so went over to a mates and put it on his ramp, not that you need a ramp to get underneath but he offered.

Checked UJ play about 3 days ago and I had slight movement but nothing scary. Tonight we found that the back Prop UJ next to the diff was gone, he recons that the noise I was getting was the little roller bearing destroying them selves and now some have left. New greasable UJ ordered and with some luck will be here tomorrow. Will update if they arrive.

Well they turned up (miracle) out I was again under the old girl. Removed u/s UJ and fitted new greasable one - replaced and went for a run 30mph and no vibs so foot down and at 70mph still like a good one with no vibration. :i-m_so_happy: Bought 4 of these but only changed the u/s one so have lots of spares for the next time. :glare: I did notice that the front and back props are different. The front is phased and the back is not - is this correct. Cant remember splitting them but it was in bits for about 8 month.

Turned out to be a long thread as it turns out, started with lift pump then timing and seals and ended I hope with vibration. I suppose that is the way it goes though - thanks to all who have help and stayed with me. Well till next time :i-m_so_happy:

Just thought I would post up my new mileage after fitting the lift pump with a spacer.......WOW!

267 miles to a tank full, for my truck it's awesome, I usually hover around 200 if I'm lucky, and I'm still driving the truck like I stole it, woohoo

Paul