2WD?

Nigelw

Looking at a Freelander as it seems hopeless waiting around for the Discovery to be registered.

Just saw a 2000 MY 1.8 at a sensible price, but the seller decribed it as being converted to 2WD and that it drove better than 4WD???

Now before I waste time going to look, is there a proper off the shelf conversion or is this most likely a cheap skate way of getting around without replacing something serious in terms of monetary value? If it is the cheap skate version is it likely that any other high priced components/ repairs are going to be needed in the imminent future? ie, knackered gearbox ????

It is impeccably clean inside but that mean jack if it is gonna kill me financially to buy it and then end up back on the bike without a chance to save the readies for new parts.

Ideas?

It does state that it is 4x4 on the original kenteken papers so I am wondering for the effective prop removal.

It has 195,000 kms so roughly 110,000 miles, could it be a duff IRD? I think very possibly a stuck VCU at those Kms.

Could be either I suppose. If the viscous coupling was left on long enough seized, then that's what destroys the ird. You could be lucky, if it's just a new viscous, then that's easy, if it's the ird then it's not so easy and much less economical to repair.

My advice, having owned one for a short period, is avoid them. Mine was a a horrid car and I spent more time under it than it did on the road and also more time than under the 110! But, others on here love them and accept their issues. Perhaps I was just unlucky.

Choice 2 is a 3 door 2.5 V6, full leather interior and still 4WD.

Will go see both and have a look see, do have an old Volvo estate car on offer for €500 on LPG should either not pan out, will seem odd sitting so low to the ground again though.

Don't buy the V6 unless it's peanuts-cheap, they're quite thirsty beasts and suffer similar head-gasket issues to the 1800 petrol - can be good motors (I loved my 1800) but if a previous owner has boiled it you need new head(s) not just head gasket, hence why they have a terrible reputation (people don't replace the head and wonder why the gasket keeps going).

As Reb says, what happens is the viscous seizes up and overloads the IRD, usual failure being either the IRD casing exploding or the rear diff going (seized viscous is a bit like driving your Disco round in difflock all day long).

Running 2WD is no biggie, you'll have less traction (duh!) and will go through engine brace rubbers quicker but aside from that it'll be fine. TBH though, I've done thousands of miles in 2WD and thousands in 4WD and I vastly prefer the way it drives in 4WD, plus I've not noticed any significant MPG penalty for running 4WD.

VCU's supposedly last about 70k miles, you can feel them getting tight, recon ones are about £250 from bell engineering.