LT230 flush ?

I have a transfer case on the bench*, I've swapped out the input gear for a cross drilled one, I'm going to do the O ring bodge from the tech archive ** ...... and it'd be nice to give it a good flush out if possible - is it feasible whilst it's in this state or is it only best to build it up and do a couple of oil changes?

*well, an old duvet on the garage floor really.

** http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=55338

You could flush it through with atf before refitting I believe atf has some rust eating properties (at least I hope so as my gearbox is brimmed with atf until I'm ready to run it) drain fill with ep90 before use then do a change after say 500 miles.

Mike

Thank you both. It'll obviously be a bigger to man handle and 'swill' around - but it seemed worth putting something through it.

If I may tag another question on : when swapping over the Lt230's would it be advisable to replace the seal in the end of the R380 ?

I've a new seal to fit the transfer box - but don't know if it's worth doing the gearbox one whilst I'm in there too.

I'd say a bit of heat would help no end in getting the crud out of it, ATF has detergent in it as well, so Mike is onto something there....

No it doesn't, this is an old wives tale that keeps being repeated. ;-)

Thank you both. It'll obviously be a bigger to man handle and 'swill' around - but it seemed worth putting something through it.

If I may tag another question on : when swapping over the Lt230's would it be advisable to replace the seal in the end of the R380 ?

I've a new seal to fit the transfer box - but don't know if it's worth doing the gearbox one whilst I'm in there too.

The problem with doing the R380 rear seal is you need to make a tool to get it over the sleeve surface for the T/case seal.

Can be done but fiddly.