2000 Freelander 1.8 C02 emissions fail- has new CAT

BlueMonday

Hi, Just put my Freelander through an MOT which failed on C02 emissions only!

I took it back to the garage that fitted the CAT in November and they replaced it for a new one, it failed again on retest today :unsure:

They now think it could be the engine causing it....so i have just replaced the spark plugs to discover the old plugs weren't the platinum ones recommended for the freelander.

It has been previously juddering/coughing when pushing the accelerator down quickly , but ok when pushed slower and kept in high revs, for fear of stalling.

It seems to be alot more responsive now with the new plugs and having previously put some injector cleaner through it.

Could the old non recommended spark plugs have caused the emissions failure? or could this be a different problem?

I have uploaded MOT emissions sheet , for some advice.

Many thanks

Julie x

post-106402-0-51769300-1430158006_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for replies, i am back with an update.

Its turns out the CAT i had fitted was carp! Had it replaced with a approved one which was cheaper! Flew through the Test :D

Still have a problem with the juddering...`

She has had new plugs , leads, ignition coil, air filter, 3 mechanics scratching their heads, lambda sensor, temp sensors, injector cleaner

The engine purrs like a kitten when idling, and not too bad if you don't press her too much, but as soon as you want her to work she keeps coughing and farting.... I am at a loss, it feels like a never ending nightmare.

Since changing the ignition coil, she's not starting too well....any ideas?

Many thanks

Positive update, Freelander is cured !!

I am ashamed to say that the most basic thing was the problem....

Changed the distributor Cap and rotor arm...although in my defense i was told it didn't have this.

No more juddering, pausing, loss of power....runs like a dream!! Thanks to my dad :D

• Like 1