Terrain response system LR Freelander 2

georgijee

Hello.

I have few questions about Land Rover Freelander 2 I bought two months ago from dealer.

It's a used car, 2.2 TD4 engine and year of manufacture is 2007. But it's actually in pretty shape, almost excellent.

Questions are about Terrain Response system which answers I can't find anywhere.

First, if it is on normal mode, did this Land Rover have AWD system always on or we turn it on manually with this small wheel near gear stick? ( TR system )

Second. If first option is Grass, Gravel & snow second mud & ruts and third sand and the last one rock crawl. Which one we can use in deep snow? From 10cm to 50cm?

Which one we can use on iced asphalt road?

Snowy asphalt road?

Also, is there any speed limit if we change the mode on that small wheel (TR system)? Or we can drive however ( fast / slow ) as we want?

If we drive on asphalt road, which have ice or a 1-3 centimeters of snow , which mode we should use? And also is there any speed or gear limit?

Thanks on your time.

Sincerely

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the FL2 is like the original one in that slippage at the front sends drive to the rear using the haldex type 4wd system. As for speed, I don't think it makes any difference. The terrain response system just changes the throttle response and the amount of wheel slip allowed.

• 1 month later...

Thanks man. I appreciate your help. This LR have great suspension, it's so comfort & simply, enjoin during the trip.

Someone maybe know where to buy some parts like belt and filters?

How much usually cost one normal service for this LR ?

FL2 is the opposite of FL1:

FL1 is always-on with a viscous coupling to the rear diff which locks up hard if the two ends spin at different speeds. The diff ratios are slightly different front to rear so the front "pulls" the rear along, making the car drive more like a front-wheel-drive most of the time.

FL2 uses a Haldex unit (hydraulic clutch) so normally it is 2WD only until the ABS detects any wheel slip, at which point the haldex locks up and drives all four. This does away with the issues the FL1 has with the viscous units seizing up and presumably also saves some fuel under normal driving as it's not dragging the rear wheels around. I wouldn't worry about the fact it's not locked all the time though, LR's ABS & TC systems are pretty amazing, I can't remember the exact numbers but I saw some presentation somewhere describing "normal" ABS/TC systems acting on a wheel after maybe 30 degrees rotation / slip and the LR one catching a spinning wheel after something like 1.5 degrees.

So, if I understood you, AWD is not always on? Right?

Now,one more question. on my left board computer there are some numbers " -41 " and at the bottom, with small letters " service " .

I know I'm late with my service for about 3k but what does it means?

Tnx

So are the front wheels they which are always on or back?

Also I wondering what is the annual service ( what should be serviced / changed on that service ) ?

I'm asking because there is no official LR autohouse or service in my town.

PS I'm from Banja Luka

Your service booklet should have a schedule stating what is required at the service intervals. The intervals can be either mileage or time dependant, this is because some vehicles may not do the required mileage within a year but still require an annual inspection (especially if under warranty).