wibbly wobbly speedo

Guest diesel_jim
Check it comes with plugs Callum, at least for the warning lamp module.

Mo

I bought my plugs from RS along with the pins and made them up. although i've not got the proper coloured wires in place (got an old loom i might canabalise soon though!)

I'll post the part numbers tomorrow if anyone wants?

Guest diesel_jim
I bought my plugs from RS along with the pins and made them up. although i've not got the proper coloured wires in place (got an old loom i might canabalise soon though!)

I'll post the part numbers tomorrow if anyone wants?

From the RS website:

16 way plug 362-8780

20 way connector 530-6319

Solder on clip in pins 362-8869

These are the pukka plugs to fit the Td5 warning light unit.

Haven't done anything more to my Td5 speedo yet, except for today I've ordered the transducer & associated parts & the link harness, should have them in my mitts next week :D

Any of you found a supplier for the speedo connectors/moulding ?

Haven't done anything more to my Td5 speedo yet, except for today I've ordered the transducer & associated parts & the link harness, should have them in my mitts next week :D

Any of you found a supplier for the speedo connectors/moulding ?

I've checked mine "on the bench" to make sure it all powers up, but thats it so far. I need to order up the transducer and then i'm planning to measure the output from the transducer on a scope and work out how to advance the mileage...

advancing the mileage is what I may need to do, haven't powered up my speedo yet, so don't know what readings are in it, I've replyed to your PM too, Thanks for the part.

PM sent back. Mine had 40k odd on it so need to add another 125K, I think if IIRC yours needs a teeny weeny more than that added on... :lol:

PM sent back. Mine had 40k odd on it so need to add another 125K, I think if IIRC yours needs a teeny weeny more than that added on... :lol:

yep, just a slight bit more, hope your succesfull, 2nd pm reply returned too. will let you know when the plug arrives Cheers :D

Got my speedo transducer today & it's bolt, it says VDO moulded into the green casing & Czech Republic

where it says VDO, above it is the LR part number YBE100530, then what I believe is VDO's part number 340.214/13/4

4 views of the transducer, showing a overall side view, the moulded in info,plug end,drive end. the green substance on the bolt thread is a thread locking compound applied by the bolt makers ( most likely not LR)

post-20-1186760736_thumb.jpg

post-20-1186760759_thumb.jpg

post-20-1186760776_thumb.jpg

post-20-1186760790_thumb.jpg

I've got the temperature gauge working ok now, I put resistors to the value of 57 ohms in the wire between the green sender and the gauge and the needle is now central when at normal running temperature. It took plenty of experimentation and good long runs to get there but I did in the end :)

Only one minor problem in that if I turn the lights on the temp needle rises by a mill or so but I think that this is an earthing issue and running the earth directly to the battery should resolve that, I think ...

Steep electrical learning curve !

Mo

Guest diesel_jim
I've got the temperature gauge working ok now, I put resistors to the value of 57 ohms in the wire between the green sender and the gauge and the needle is now central when at normal running temperature. It took plenty of experimentation and good long runs to get there but I did in the end :)

Only one minor problem in that if I turn the lights on the temp needle rises by a mill or so but I think that this is an earthing issue and running the earth directly to the battery should resolve that, I think ...

Steep electrical learning curve !

Mo

Just a thought Mo, it may depend on where you put the resistor, as the guages have 3 connetions (earth, 12v ignition and the "feed" from the temp guage).

it might help to install the resistor, say, in the 12v ignition feed, that may stop the lights from affecting the reading.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well got my Td5 instrument pack, along with the transducer loom Diesel_Jim made up for me -- many thanks mate :i-m_so_happy: & the info from all within this thread, I hope to get it fitted soon, moved the fuel gauge to the far right as I want my rev counter next to the speedo, will connect the heater slide light too & it's got a red led in the upper right corner [alarm warning] want to make this work along with the red one in the speedo face.

spent most of this evening trying to suss the warning light module wiring, made up a list for each of the plugs & trawled through my Defender 1999 Td5 RAVE electrical info to find out what each wire is for, got most of it sussed now, just a few that aren't shown on RAVE

help please

20 way module plug at speedo end of the warning light module is identified as connector 0233 in RAVE

I would like to know what these do

0233-3 white/orange possibly low fuel level light ??? if I join the white/orange from the back of the speedo to this warning light module wire would that make the low fuel light work ???

0233-6 black/pink ???

at the right hand end furthest from speedo, the plug is identified as connector 0230 this is a 16 way (not all used)

0230-2 yellow/black ???

0230-6 red/slate ??? this loops to -10

0230-9 black/white ??? this loops to -13

0230-10 red/slate ???

0230-13 black/white ???

still not sure :unsure: if I'm going to use the warning light module in my dash, may just use the speedo/fuel & temp gauges & keep the existing warning light module, simply cos it's set to my suit my truck :D & I'm not overly bothered with the illuminated heater slides either, don't think I can fit them into the existing pack, after 14 years of owning my 110 I think I know where the heater slides are by now :hysterical:

note -- this will be fitted to my 1989 diesel 110, so some of my existing wire colours maybe different to 300Tdi models. the 'new' instrument pack came from a Td5 90 built around jan/feb 2001, the main plastic housing has a date sticker showing 15.09.00 & the warning light module has one showing 05.01.01 with a time of 08:24:04 next to the date.

Edited by western

Ralph,

If you use the td5 fuel gauge you'll no longer need the warning light wire coming from the tank sender. The white / orange is a feed from the fuel level damping circuit to bring the low fuel light on and should be connected to that light on your warning lamp module. This stops the low fuel warning light from flashing from just after half tank to empty and instead brings it on when the needle is in the orange segment. Much better :)

More as I try to read this wiring diagram and rack my stella addled brain

Mo

yet another question, this time in the lower of the speedo plugs identified in RAVE as connector 1061, what does the dark green/black feed ?? id is 1061-3 ??? :D

Dark green/black is connected to your fuel level sender wire. It inputs to the level damper here on pin 3 and the damped signal comes out on pin 7 to the fuel gauge.

Referring to the earlier post you no longer need the warning lamp wire from the sender so terminate it and tuck it out of the way. Your new warning lamp wire comes from pin 1 on the 1061 connector and goes straight to the warning lamp.

Mo