Eberspacher D1LC into a 1995 Defender 90

Frax

Hi it is some clear plastic reinforced pipe I had in my garage, not sure what it was for but I have about 10 feet of the stuff, cant even remember where it came from, I have ran it along the bottom edge of the rear tub and with the end pointing down attached it to the flat section of the bracket on the passenger side outrigger - hope that makes sense. The exhaust is now secured at the same place on the drivers side. I know this part collects a lot of dirt when offroad but it is at the side away from the back wheel. It is hard to find a point that is clear of dirt and spray with out having an upward run on the pipe.

• 1 month later...
Got a chance to play with the pump settings at the weekend, It turned out I was turning the pump stroke setting the wrong way but after loads of trial runs I have now got it working with just a little white smoke on start up and shut down, the rest of the time it burns clear and produces lots of great heat.

White smoke = low C02 or high air to low fuel = turn the pump adjustment anti clockwise to increase fuel.

Black smoke = High C02 or low air to high fuel = turn the pump adjustment clockwise to cut fuel back.

It a fine line and you should not need to follow it if your pump was set, I only had to do this as I stripped my pump.

Frax

Cheers for this info Frax :) You have saved me quite a bit of frustration, my freshly installed D1LCc was smoking and sooting up really quickly, I did the fuel quantity test and it turns out the pump was delivering almost double the amount it should!

I think the pump must have been from a much larger heater as it didn't look like the adjuster had been disturbed, anyway thanks to your info I knew which way to turn the adjuster and now have a heater that's not smoking at all :)

It doesn't seem to be as hot as I expected but it probably needs all the soot cleaning out again after running so rich. I'll leave it have a few good long runs before I strip it down again in case it burns all the soot out when it gets up to heat, or I may try running it on parafin for half an hour as eberspacher recommend that as a way of decoking.

Anyway thanks again for the tips on adjusting. :)