new defender

boaterboy

I remember seeing the Evoque concept and loving it and wanting one...I saw the Evoque (and sat in it) for the first time at the Trafford centre this week...I sooo want one.

This Defender concept...my first reaction is...no thanks, I'll keep my 16 year old 90.

What I find strange is that they are harping on about why the defender needs phasing out is due to engine regulation.... simple answer... put in a different engine surely? well they/we've got 4 years to prove that they're making a huge mistake. With the present concept the defender will just become another SUV 4x4 town car. :angry:

I think the biggest problem will be if it is not 'home repairable'. If you can't undo a few nuts and bolts (of course soaking them in WD40 for a couple of days before) to get at the bit you want to get at then it will loose its market. Also, if you can't remove the body to turn it into a truck cab, or run it without the body at all, this will be a shame.

Meccano may finally have to start making their own version. :D

However, I kind of like it. But I wouldn't want to fill the back up with gravel or compost etc.

There is no way that if that made it into production the defender brand will live :(.

Doesn't have any of what makes the Defender great, its ugly, no way of making 101 different bodies and it doesnt have the 'I could drive around the world' feel that it does now.

I don't see why they can't just update the engine with a new, cleaner one, and be done with it?! And if they went to the trouble of getting airbags (and anything else needed) fitted, they could sell to the US and I'm sure they would make a killing. Oh and different engine options would be nice, and an auto option.

Could this just be a marketing ploy , as its so obviously nothing like a defender replacement will need to be , the front bumper level for a start is completely at odds with its present market use , but will make what they really intend to design/sell look the part in comparison even if its light years different to the current model , as people will be comparing with this design disaster rather than the outgoing model. This is the only way i can make any sense of that pathetic concept suggestion . :rolleyes:

Would have liked to see some sacrificial plastic wheel arches - a little like the latest jeep or maybe the deign below.

Can you imagine what those big metal arches will look like after they've seen a few trees?

post-8708-0-26323600-1314780187_thumb.jpg

Could this just be a marketing ploy , as its so obviously nothing like a defender replacement will need to be , the front bumper level for a start is completely at odds with its present market use , but will make what they really intend to design/sell look the part in comparison even if its light years different to the current model , as people will be comparing with this design disaster rather than the outgoing model. This is the only way i can make any sense of that pathetic concept suggestion . :rolleyes:

From what I've read

John Edwards, Global Brand Director, Land Roveradded: "Loved the world over for its simple, honest and distinctive design, we are determined that the new Defender will be true to its heritage, while meeting the requirements of a changing global market. We plan to engage with existing and potential customers to help us finalise the details of the new vehicle. One thing's for sure, it's going to be an exciting journey, and we can't wait to get going."

So I think it depends on the public's reaction!

Is it a smoke screen to hide what they are really working on , by using a dead end design that was on the Evoque development path. ? I really hope so otherwise Land rover design dept is so far out of touch with the defender user that they ought to get their coats and leave now !

Worth noting the LR chap says it's just using some stuff that is forming the base of a 4-year development for the Defender, so means naff all really - the development mule for the Freelander was a Maestro van, and the original development source for the Series / Defender was the Willis J**p. :ph34r:

So, for all we know the thing's got a cunning 4WD system under it that will find its way into the defender and the bodywork is just whatever the "art" department felt like plonking on to gauge reaction for an Evoque-based van or somesuch.