Removing Marshall bodied ambulance back to carry out chassis repairs.

Ash.Witty

I've just collected my new project, a 1981 109 S3 ambulance, body wise it's very good but my plan is to lift the rear body off to access the chassis, check its structural integrity , carry out any major repairs then refit.

My question is this: apart from undoing all the obvious nuts and bolts what's the best way to lift or jack the body up?

I was thinking about erecting a scaffold frame where I could use a pair of chain blocks and lift off, but i don't really Know where the correct place connect to the tub is.

Anyone who has done this or has ideas please contribute :)

post-47238-0-83759000-1421608821_thumb.jpgpost-47238-0-51624600-1421608833_thumb.jpgpost-47238-0-46898100-1421608843_thumb.jpgpost-47238-0-17565200-1421608852_thumb.jpg

Nice , I had a IIA one with a rebuilt 2 1/4 diesel on the road for 10 yrs , good fun .

A beam on axle stands under the rear body behind the x-member and two building trestles with a beam under the front roof through

the door openings , jack the whole vehicle up as high as is safe with the body/screen bolts undone position the stands and lower the rolling chassis

back to the ground and roll out

Is the os dumb iron bent ? Or is it just camera angle ?

cheers

Steveb

The bumper is twisted but chassis is straight, when I get chance next weekend I'll have a good weigh up of what you have said and see what I can sort out :)

I'd like to be able to keep it suspended so I can role the casiis out and give it a full power wash, get it sand blasted, repaired and painted :)

I've got a plan together, I had a good look around the body and once all the wiring and pipe work has been removed it should be ready to unbolt and lift off.

I managed to find some nice 4"x4" box section welded to some 3/4" plate and some nice lengths of RSJ, I'm going to fabricate a nice substantial frame to jack the body off and allow it to be suspended whilst I work on the chassis below. Hopefully a bit more of an update tomorrow once I've made a start on the frame.

post-47238-0-15259500-1421968932_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...