Freelander 2 towbar & reversing sensors

Jools

I'm thinking of fitting a Witter Towbar (non-removable fixed height) to my new Freelander 2 GS, as a local company has a very good deal on them at present. But will it cause problems with the standard ultrasonic reversing sensors ?

I know LR offer a non-removable fixed height bracket so I suppose the Witter one would be OK as well, but I could be wrong.

Any comments.

Jules

I'm thinking of fitting a Witter Towbar (non-removable fixed height) to my new Freelander 2 GS, as a local company has a very good deal on them at present. But will it cause problems with the standard ultrasonic reversing sensors ?

I know LR offer a non-removable fixed height bracket so I suppose the Witter one would be OK as well, but I could be wrong.

Any comments.

Jules

FYI

My searches into this matter indicate that fixed height towbars will interfere with the sensors. Therefore a removable towbar is required. Witter make one of those as well !

Jules

• 2 months later...

Any comments.

Jules

Might be a bit late for you now, but the fixed height towball will be absolutely fine, it is the electrics that you need to ensure are connected correctly. On a LR approved tow pack installation the trailer electrics socket is plugged into a connector in the rear of the vehicle (behind the LH light IIRC), and disables the rear Parking Sensors when a trailer is connected. A lot of the aftermarket towbar kits are fitted by splicing into the rear light wiring which can cause issues with the parking sensors remaining active, but also with the trailer indicator light on the instrument cluster.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• 1 month later...
FYI

My searches into this matter indicate that fixed height towbars will interfere with the sensors. Therefore a removable towbar is required. Witter make one of those as well !

Jules

The old freelander has rear parking sensors which are not affected by the towbar only annoyance is reversing with the trailer. Would anticipate the Freelander 2 would be the same am due to get mine next week and the dealer is putting on a Fixed height non removable towbar