Knackered 300 tdi engine?

Off Road Toad

Just come back from France and the Discopottamus is not sounding too healthy. Before i set off a couple of weeks ago, there was a loud tappety noise that seemed to be coming from the top of the engine. I checked the valve clearances and they were fine. I have checked the injectors and they are working too. Its not really down on power but i would say its not as pokey as it used to be, but to be fair its done 250,000 miles and been thrashed like a Moroccan donkey :blush:

Over the last 2000 miles the noise has developed. The tappety noise is still present in the top of the engine, but there is now a more sort of clump clump noise coming from further inside :o It sounds much clearer when i took the intercooler pipe off. There is a fair bit of oil in the intercooler pipe too.

I have uploaded a video to youtube which i took on my phone and the noise is very clear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uODQboyqC18&feature=youtu.be

What is the general consensus of opinion please? terminal?

Oh, and if you don't want to explain to SWMBO why you have a giant love bite on your hand then take my advise and don't put your hand over the intake pipe of a running tdi :blush:

Regards, Steve

I had a noise coming from the top end of a 300Tdi a few years ago with symptoms you initially described and, like you, I could find no cause for it.

To cut a long story short, when I took the head off later, because of a blowing head gasket, I found the rocker shaft had broken into two pieces through an oil way under one of the retaining caps - no reason for it that I could find - but it did cause the car to be down on power.

Sorry, I can't help on your other problems.

Peter.

put your hand down behind the back of the engine between the bulkhead and the block, where it meets the head, it sounds like your gasket is blowing to atmosphere. although also check your exhaust manifold gasket as it can also make this noise, and will affect power, as the turbo is not getting all the gasses to give a full boost.

if you cant feel the air being pushed out, move your hand around to the manifold area, and then round to the front area. (although they tend to go right at the back)

Thanks chaps, first thing tomorrow I'll check at the back of the engine. The manifold is fine. If it is the head gasket then I hope the heads ok as I've done 1000's miles like this! Temp gauge hasn't budged at all though and hasn't used water or oil. I think the oil in the intercooler pipe is from an aged turbo with worn seals etc so not overly worried about that at this stage. Steve

Oh yes I recognise that noise I think :(

Something which is rare but happens is that the inlet valve - usually in No 1 - wears into the seat and eventually blows back into the inlet manifold on the compression stroke producing pretty much exactly that sound out the intercooler hose. If you do a compression test it should show as one cylinder will be down which will be the culprit but every one I've seen has always been No 1. I guess I saw about half a dozen in fifteen years working as spawn of Satan. No idea what causes it - excretus occurus I guess.

The other thing that can make nasty noises vaguely like that is if the head gasket is leaking between two cylinders, which can have no external symptoms apart from the noise and a lack of power. The bothersome thing about that particular problem is that if you leave it too long the combustion gases chuffing back and forth carve a nice little channel into the alli head and then you need a new one...

Hard to be sure but my guess is that tickety rattle could be either the vacuum pump or the lift pump as either can make that sort of orrible noise. Mechanic's stethoscope is magic for tracking those down.

Right then, have checked the following. Manifold gasket is new and ok. No blowing from back of engine where the head joins block, rocker shaft removed and is sound, BUT - before I went to France I checked the valve clearances and noticed that on number 1 valve spring that the little cap that sits on top was missing so I replaced it with a new one. Now I've taken the shaft off I see that number 1 valve cap is smashed up and come off again. Is this a sign of what Bog monster suggested earlier? I guess the only way to be sure is to take its head off, but I don't have time at the moment. If this is the case then is the head fubaard?

Yep I've had that happen. That's an exhaust vale IIRC. So I would expect that the cylinder is glazed by excessive exhaust gas temperature. Mine was. I must admit that I've done 32,000 miles since then with that engine.

Why it happened ???

I'd suggest a new cap again. Then when you have time change the rocker.