piston oil spray jet

Hello from Germany. My problem is this. When i renenew the sump gasket of an 2.5 n/a diesel engine (LDV) i found the broken tube of a piston oil spray jet down in the sump. is it possible to fit a new one without taking the crankshaft out ?? . without the tube has the piston enough oil to do his job nice ? For any help i would say Dankeschön

Defender workshop manual says fit the oil jets then refit the crankshaft, but it maybe possible to change the oil jet without stripping the complete engine, remove the sump & have a look, I think you soon see which way to proceed.

extract fom manual [ignore the right hand column]

File0017.jpg

hope it helps & welcome to LR4x4.com :i-m_so_happy:

Defender workshop manual says fit the oil jets then refit the crankshaft, but it maybe possible to change the oil jet without stripping the complete engine, remove the sump & have a look, I think you soon see which way to proceed.

extract fom manual [ignore the right hand column]

File0017.jpg

hope it helps & welcome to LR4x4.com :i-m_so_happy:

It will be tight to get at with the crank in, but having a look will soon show if it possible with the tools you have. Yes they are very important, as they provide a jet of oil for cooling to the piston crown that can lead to siezing/nipping of the piston in the bore if its not there. Been there, seen it, done it!!

Thank you for your help, i don`t know since when the spray jet is broken. Next week i will do the sump again, and see how i can do it . But the next work is waiting. The seals (t-style) of the main bearing cap and the crankshaft oil seal are ready to change. I think to put the whole engine out and make a general overhaul. Danke from Germany.

• 1 year later...

I forgot to fit mine before fitting the crank in my 300TDi engine, so had to put them on afterwards. It is fiddly, but do-able. They are important though - they cool the underside of the piston crown and lubricate the bore and small end bearing.

It can't have been off for long or there would be some damage fairly quickly.

Les.

If I remember correctly, they are "handed", so there are two kinds of jets, one bent to the right and another one bent to the left.

Either you buy one of each kind, or you'll have to remove the sump and see which one is missing, before buying the replacement.

Remeber to buy the copper seals, as well, as they are of a collapsible kind, not easy to find outside of LR spare parts.