Horn failed MoT

Ryan

This morning my car failed its MoT on the horn. It toots when I try to lock the car with a window open, but nothing when the buttons on the steering wheel are pressed. I hardly ever use the horn so I hadn't noticed until now, and because I got the warning toot, I assumed everything was okay.

As the horn partly works, I assume that the relay and fuse are okay, so it must be something at the steering wheel end. I haven't got the wiring diagrams to hand, so I don't know what's between the button and the relay. Unfortunately, my friendly mechanic is away for Easter so I can't call on him. Can anyone assist? I have until 3rd April to get it sorted.

I'd agree - it sounds like it can only be the rotary coupler or the switches themselves (less likely).

I have a rotary coupler in the spares box you're welcome to have if your one doesn't get there in time.

Rob.

I've now managed to access the wiring diagrams and it appears the problem could be the rotary coupler. I've ordered one and just hope it will be here on time.

Rotary coupler is a common failure. Care has to be taken when installing to make sure it doesn't unwind.

I'd agree - it sounds like it can only be the rotary coupler or the switches themselves (less likely).

I have a rotary coupler in the spares box you're welcome to have if your one doesn't get there in time.

Rob.

Thanks for the offer Rob.

Rotary coupler is a common failure. Care has to be taken when installing to make sure it doesn't unwind.

Noted, but I think most of my care will be directed towards the controlled explosion bolted to the front of the steering wheel.

I would be interested as to the facts about airbags being deployed when (dis)connecting. Think it's a bit of urban myth like using a mobile phone on a pterol forecourt.

I personally have connected and disconnected the airbags loads of times without even disconnecting the battery and it has never deployed.

Wouldn't recomment it tho :)

• 1 year later...