Coolant problem

Tanis8472

Hi guys,

I seem to have an issue with the cooling system on my 99-00 freelander.

There are no leaks, its been pressure tested yesterday and also had an exhaust gas sniffer attached to the header tank which both show normal!!

The radiator does not get hot which suggests thermostat is stuck shut. Put a new one on yesterday too so not that.

Bled the system as per RAVE manual.

Yesteday before doing all that, the temp guage rose slightly and noticed some steam from under bonnet so stopped immediately and turned engine off. It blew a lot of coolant out of tank. Got mechanic to have a look. I topped it up with coolant i had in car straight away.

I changed the inlet manifold gasket a few months ago which was leaking and been fine since.

There is good circulation as can be seen from coolanf flowing into header tank

Petrol.

I've been doing some more research trying to find out why its doing it.

I didnt realise the thermostat is pressure sensitive too and that there are seveal types sold by different retailers (some are wrong it seems)

I spoke to LR dealer yesterday to get correct part number which is PEL500110.

Its likely that the one i fitted 2 days ago is not correct spring rate. Partnumber PEM101020.

Thats one for diesels and V8's apparently.

I have fitted a later coolant tank with matching cap several months ago. I bet these are matched to the spring rate in the thermostat.

http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Pressure_Relief_Remote_Thermostat

Right, got to the bottom of the problem.

It was the thermostat causing the issues. 2 brand new ones fitted (1 Genuine LR, the other Vernet)

Both are fine by the way.

Changed radiator thinking it was blocked. It wasnt :huh:

While i was having a nosey around the thermostat area with a torch I noticed something i hadn't before.

There is a marking on the stat housing that says pump with an arrow. Aha, thought I.

Had a look at the Haynes manual to see if there are any photos/diagrams of the pipes. I noticed that the thermostat had been

put in the wrong way round by a "mechanic" that did the conversion for my dad years ago.

So ofcourse I put the new one in the same way round.

So after changing the stat to the correct way round, I now get a hot radiator.

Just waiting for it to cool down to top up the coolant to the correct level.

Moral of the story, don't assume anything :blink: