Larger tyre adjustments??

I know it's another tyre question but I've been searching on here for an answer that would be understood by a numb nut like me but....

On defender 90 now I have standard issue 5.5inch wide steels with 205/80 r16's.

I would like to change to 235/85 r16s (on new wider rims)

I understand this will affect the gear ratio etc but what I want to know is will it affect it so drastically that I would need to do something about it? And if so what?

If it's a big deal I would prob just stick to what I have! I just prefer tyres a bit more substantial.

Looking at your avatar you have a 300 or td5, 235 85 16 could be a standard tyre size from the factory, you will not need to make any adjustments however I would cross reference your speedo with GPS , sat nav etc to double check it's accurate to within a couple of mph.

Will.

My 300 110 is factory fit standard with 235/85 R16s. According to GPS, speedo reads approx 8% high.

Take care with GPS speedo calibration. If you have a good quality modern GPS it will probably use Doppler and relative satellite position to measure speed accurately. Older/cheaper models calculate speed by assuming straight line motion between position samples, then performing a running average across the calculated velocities. For best accuracy on older models, calibrate on a reasonably straight road and take more than one reading