D-Lander's

PITBULL

Take a Disco chassis, bin all the bodywork, add a tubular space frame and then dangle some plastic freelander shaped panels off it. :)

No need to adjust the wheelbase as Freelanders are pretty much the same. No need to move engine or gearbox, although that is an option to get better weight distribution.

However I believe there is a bit of rear chassis that gets the chop, much like bobtailing a Rangie, and then they add a big chunky crossmember.

Sooooo.... I suppose it'll be down to the VIC people to decide if an SVA would be required or not as the chassis does get modified.

Its a disco chassis on that one.

SVA is a yes for them all because of chassis mods.

Q plate depends on how its done, the 2 existing in this country are running original plates from their donor vehicles because they are done very differently to mine. Mine is currently not registered and may end up on a Q, it all depends on the points system and the person counting as mine came from either new parts or a single donor vehicle but was build using a new chassis and doesnt and never has had a V5 so registration for me is a lot more complex.

If you have any other questions about them just ask either here or PM - there is a build thread for mine round here somewhere too!!

Slow - like most things time is a major issue (altho now im redundant i have the time but not the money!) and having moved my new workshop is a stable on a farm rather than the well equipt workshop i used to use.

New transmission tunnel is in with difflock/hi-lo linkages, compushift loom is in attached to the 4hp22 autobox and things are progressing well, on the floor in front of me i have 2 oil/water coolers for the gearbox (like a laminova but much cheaper) so i have to fit them and then i get to find out if the gearbox works....

New transmission tunnel is in with difflock/hi-lo linkages, compushift loom is in attached to the 4hp22 autobox and things are progressing well, on the floor in front of me i have 2 oil/water coolers for the gearbox (like a laminova but much cheaper) so i have to fit them and then i get to find out if the gearbox works....

Be careful what oil / water coolers you use - Laminova's are a very tough construction. I've heard there can issues with other oil to water coolers failing due to severe off road vibrations.

• 3 months later...
Its a disco chassis on that one.

SVA is a yes for them all because of chassis mods.

Q plate depends on how its done, the 2 existing in this country are running original plates from their donor vehicles because they are done very differently to mine. Mine is currently not registered and may end up on a Q, it all depends on the points system and the person counting as mine came from either new parts or a single donor vehicle but was build using a new chassis and doesnt and never has had a V5 so registration for me is a lot more complex.

If you have any other questions about them just ask either here or PM - there is a build thread for mine round here somewhere too!!

The photo of the white one earlier in the thread is mine it is a disco chassis with modified rear cross member, you do not need to have it SVA'd i took it to portsmouth DVLA and asked them to look at it, and advise me as to what to do next, they said it only needed a VIC check and they even completed the forms for me and within two weeks sent me a new log book detailing a different model from the origional log book.

Simple really, but honesty is the best policy, it is difficult for them to come backl to me if i have followed their advice. its been on the road for about three years now, and has travelled extensively across europe, i have been stopped many times by police in the uk and abroad, never any issues with paperwork usually its to ask what the f*** it is ! It will be off the raod at the end of the year though, i think its time to look at replacing the 300tdi with somthing a little more interesting mmmmm (I have a camel 110 for my holidays now so the Dlander can now be just a toy)

I know - hello Richard!

Technically they say any chassis mods require SVA's but like you said yours was checked and ok'd. Mine is totally different tho as i dont have a donor disco like yours did and mine uses a brand new chassis etc and doest exist on any database and never has!