Stud sizes, threads and length

Boydie

Western,

Could you tell me the length and thread sizes of the studs it calls up on the removal of the transfer box. 18G 1425 ? with a bit of luck I'm hoping that I can use some old cylinder head bolts cut down but I'd like to know beforehand just what they are.

Western,

Yes, the bolts are m10 x 1.5mm pitch, three are required and all are 6 1/4" long including the thread.

I used 8.8 tensile bolts and they were fine, stronger ones would, if available tend to bend less. I'll let you know how good they are in aligning the two boxes to avoid damage to the input seal on the transfer box when I get to that stage.

• Like 1

On the Disco, I found that the best method for determining the correct length was to screw the studs into the gearbox and then measure them so that they are 1/4"-1/2" longer than the R380 output shaft. If the studs are any longer than that and the transfer box fouls with the transmission tunnel as the studs prevent it from being lifted up.