EGR Valve

Alan t

What engine?

On later TDV6 Discos removing the EGR valves will trigger the check-engine light, as the system monitors EGR flow and throws a fault if it doesn't see what it expects it should see (bearing in mind engine RPM, throttle opening, boost-pressure etc)..

Earlier TDV6 Discos can be de-EGRed beneficially (and EGR-simulator modules fitted to fool the system into thinking the EGR is still there) but it can be a real pain to physically remove the EGR valves unless you've got a double-jointed dwarf in your toolkit.

Although some swear they get a few more MPG and more power, don't expect any gains, certainly not noticeable imo.

Consider it a gain in terms of the long term health of the engine, removing the EGR stops the engine routing some of the exhaust back into the intake. Is it worth it? - that's up to you, it's a very easy job and takes very little time, so I wouldn't describe it as trouble. If I asked you if you would like your engine with or without recirculated soot what would you say?

Not sure if your 2002 will have the water cooled EGR or not, that one's a little more complicated I believe but nothing major and either way I believe the Td5 meets emissions standard without it's EGR. The story goes that LR overestimated the forthcoming emissions regulations so the fitment of an EGR turned out to be over specification.

Here's a guide; http://www.discovery2.co.uk/egr.html