Fitting Disco '3 pin' rear axle

How do I do this? Do i have to buy a new propshaft flange for the back axle? if so how do I remove the old flange from the disco axle?! Help!!

Hi Adam,

I've never done this myself but I've read comments/threads on here about it. You do have to replace the diff drive flange and I believe it's pretty straightforward to do.

Do a search on here, I'm sure others have covered it and there's something in the Tech Archive about it.

HTH.

Mark.

As above, you can buy a flange kit which has the flange and new oil seal in it, most commonly used when the flange and seal need changing together due to scoring on the seal track but is all you need for a quick conversion job :)

I think there may be some confusion....

I have a defender 300tdi, which as standard had a 4 bolt rear propshaft flange.

I am fitting 300tdi disco axles, this pair has a 3 bolt (with rubber coupling) propshaft flange.

As an aside question, do the axles all have the same ratio, can I expect any difference?

I think there may be some confusion....

I have a defender 300tdi, which as standard had a 4 bolt rear propshaft flange.

I am fitting 300tdi disco axles, this pair has a 3 bolt (with rubber coupling) propshaft flange.

As an aside question, do the axles all have the same ratio, can I expect any difference?

I think everyone understood that Adam. Jericho's comments still apply, you need to replace the 3 bolt Disco flange with a 4 bolt Defender one.

Diff ratio's are the same between the 2 vehicles so you will not notice any difference. It is the Disscovery transfer box which has a higher ratio, in high range, in comparison to the Defender.

Regards,

mark.

I think everyone understood that Adam. Jericho's comments still apply, you need to replace the 3 bolt Disco flange with a 4 bolt Defender one.

Diff ratio's are the same between the 2 vehicles so you will not notice any difference. It is the Disscovery transfer box which has a higher ratio, in high range, in comparison to the Defender.

Regards,

mark.

I'm not sure they did, if so do I really need to buy a 200tdi rear prop? If so why?

PS. will I have to set up any bearings after taking off the old flange? I read the tech article and it says for some you will for some you won't..

I'm not sure they did, if so do I really need to buy a 200tdi rear prop? If so why?

PS. will I have to set up any bearings after taking off the old flange? I read the tech article and it says for some you will for some you won't..

I don't see why your prop won't fit, unless the flange ends up in a different position longitudinally to that which your original one was in. I'm wondering now if the nose on the Disco diff is longer than the Defender one, or even shorter.

I don't think you need to set anything up as regards the diff, just tighten the flange retaining nut to the specified torque.

Hopefully Ralph or Les can confirm the prop shaft length conundrum.

Mark

If I understand correctly you are fitting a Discovery 300TDi rear axle with the three bolt flange to a Defender 300TDi that uses a 4 bolt flange. In which case you won't need a new propshaft, just change the flange as described above.

However if the axle is staying on the Discovery, when you change to the 4 bolt flange, you would need to replace the propshaft as well so that it has the correct 4 bolt flange from a 200TDi Discovery.

I hope this helps

Pete.

Guest noggy

Basically what everyone is trying to say is.

all you need to do, it swap the flange.

because other than the flange the 300def and 300 disco axles are exactly the same.