INTERMEDIATE REDUCTION DRIVE(IRD)

buffy

Hi Guys

Now the inportant part i have a knock when taking up drive and there is some wear on the pinion shaft which seams to much and could be the fault i an looking for ,mine is a V6 Automatic

Has any one Had to remove thr pinion housing and replaced the bearings with in it .

What problen did you have

What parts need replacing

What sort of price did you pay for spares

How easy was it to replace the bearings

On reading the manual it surgests to recored the torque settings, how do you do this and hold onto it it segests a special tool which i have not got what else can be used?

What is a collapsible spacer or is it a spacer that when fitted and collaps on final torque setting giving the pre-load on the tapered bearing

What a big problem but i am sure some one has replace it

regards

chris

Before you do that I would check the rear diff bushes because they wear and you get a metallic knock on the diesels as you come on and off the throttle so you may well get the same knock putting an auto in drive.

Before you do that I would check the rear diff bushes because they wear and you get a metallic knock on the diesels as you come on and off the throttle so you may well get the same knock putting an auto in drive.

hi thanks for that but i change the frount diff mount early last month i also have checked this week all the rubber mounting bushers on all points under the car and found them OK

regards

chris

hi guys

I had this IRD unit checked out at a main dealers they tod me its on its way out .Surly some one has done some work on this ,it looks like the rear out put shaft has worn bearings and need replacing and that looks easy the only thing that bugs me is the torque settings before and after replacing the bearings. Can any one help

Regards

chris

Buffy

straight out of Mr Haynes book

drain plug =35 nm or 26lbf ft

filler =same

IRD support brackets 45 nm or33 lbf ft

IRD to transmission bolts 80 nm or59 lbf ft

main end case cover bolts 30 nm or 22 lbf ft

pinion housing nuts 25 nm or 18 lbf ft

pinion nut 150 nm or 111 lbf ft

propshaft to IRD flange bolts 40 nm or 30lbf ft

support bracket to IRD unit 50 nm or 37 lbf ft

i suspect the only critical setting here is the pinion nut

HTH

Buffy

straight out of Mr Haynes book

drain plug =35 nm or 26lbf ft

filler =same

IRD support brackets 45 nm or33 lbf ft

IRD to transmission bolts 80 nm or59 lbf ft

main end case cover bolts 30 nm or 22 lbf ft

pinion housing nuts 25 nm or 18 lbf ft

pinion nut 150 nm or 111 lbf ft

propshaft to IRD flange bolts 40 nm or 30lbf ft

support bracket to IRD unit 50 nm or 37 lbf ft

i suspect the only critical setting here is the pinion nut

HTH

HI Westender

Your brilliant I have only a land rover service disc and that info is not on it or I cant find it

Many thanks I try tomorrow

Regards

HI Westender

Your brilliant I have only a land rover service disc and that info is not on it or I cant find it

Many thanks I try tomorrow

Regards

Hi Westender

I just resived some of the parts i order from Land Rover to repair my IRD unit it consists of a flange ,o ring ,studs,main shaft nut,colapsal spacer,NO bearings or oil seals this cost £143.00,Land rover do not supply bearing and oil seals for this unit any more so i will have to go to BSL for these.

What does your Haynes manual say about checking the turning touque of the existing bearings and the turning torque of new bearings sepecaly if you torque up the bearings to 111 lbf.ft also what does it say on any back lash in the bevel gear on the end all should the orginal spacer be OK.

i look forward to be hearing from you

regards

chris

buffy

sorry about speed of reply, work called unfortunately, according to Mr Haynes the preload must be set by a Landrover main stealer and so dosent give a value, but you can reuse the spacer, no mention of backlash at all, so not much help there then

hope some of this is helpful

buffy

sorry about speed of reply, work called unfortunately, according to Mr Haynes the preload must be set by a Landrover main stealer and so dosent give a value, but you can reuse the spacer, no mention of backlash at all, so not much help there then

hope some of this is helpful

Hi Westender

Well I got it apart the front end bearing and oil seal US rear bearing OK but will replace the lot from BSL at a cost of £30.00 the only thing they do not make the purpose made oil seal any more and have to put up with a double lipped seal but the same size. As for the end float and back lash i can only think that using the new spacer in line with the new bearings and setting the torque this provides the correct end float other wise I can see any other way unless you can see some thing I have missed

Regards

Buffy

Buffy

i thought the same but didnt want to mislead you, often found that a twist on the old saying "if it looks right it is" will apply" if it feels right it is"

hi Westender.

Thanks for that good old BSL are unable

toget the bearings until later this week so the car is just sitting there looking sorry for it self but i let you no how i get on.

regards

Buffy

hi Westender.

Thanks for that good old BSL are unable

toget the bearings until later this week so the car is just sitting there looking sorry for it self but i let you no how i get on.

regards

Buffy

Hi Westender

Well i have replaced it its less noisy but the wine is still ,but the knock from the back lash has gone so its been worth while. As for the toque on the bearings i can see where land rover are but if you have slack bearings you cant measure it before you start.THANKYOU FOR YOURHELP

regards

Buffy