series 3 88" locking breaks

hillyseries

I have a series 3 88", I've replace the break lines, master cylinder, shoes, slave cylinder(pistons) springs, adjuster, a wole new system. when I apply the breaks the shoes do not return & lock on the only way of releasing them is to open a bleed nipple & relapse the pressure. The system is a single pipe system , with no servo. Any advice gratefully received

Very possibly you have not left slack in the system, between the pedal and the piston in the master cylinder. This means the piston does not return fully to the 'rest' position, so the port between the master cylinder and the reservoir is not opened. This means the extra fluid you pushed into the system cannot return, pushed by the shoe pull off springs.

Remove any pedal mounted pull-off spring, then shorten the effective length of the pushrod until you can feel a touch of slack movement in the pedal.

This will be covered in the Workshop Manual, but you may not have recognised the significance.

HTH

Just to add to David's post - the pedal must be free to return to its stop. If it doesn't the recuperating system in the master cylinder won't work. (When the pedal is released fully the valve in the cylinder should be open to allow the fluid to return and rest at atmospheric pressure.)