Noises from IRD or Gearbox?

Laddy

Hi, my first time on the forum.

I own a 2004 1.8 petrol that has done about 130' k.

Removed prop shaft to change noicy bearings and the VCU which was getting rather stiff. Drive 2wd now and when the noicy bearing was out of the way, all of a sudden I hear new noices from under the front of the car.

1st gear ok, 2nd gear ok, 3rd gear some noice on low speed and low revs, 4th and 5th gear a lot of rumbling noice on low revsu my foot down going up hill. Goes silent when i come off the throtle. Over 2000 rpm and easy terrain - no sounds at all-

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for the response. Your offcourse right about diagnosing sounds over the internet.

I dont think it's the engine making the sounds. I have had other FL,s and never heard this kind if noice.

• Have read somthing about counter weights on the gear shift mechanism making resonance sounds.
  • Some suggest it might be the inside of the catalyst comming loose.
  • Metal to metal in engine mounts?
  • I have changed the head gasket and the timing belt. Could it be "pinging" in low revs in case the ignition is not 100%?