loud noise coming from 300 tdi engine

Hi lads - need some help!

Bought a 300 tdi defender with the engine making a loud noise. the owner said the bottom end had gone.

A friend of mine came over today and has now put doubt in my mind that the bottom end has not gone.

When the engine is running there is a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust.

When I cracked the injectors off it made the engine run differently apart from when I cracked injector no.3 off.

It ran the same, so my mate said he thought it was the piston. Is this a common fault with 300 tdi's?

I dont know if this would have anything to do with it but it has run on red diesel its whole life.

How much work is involved in fitting a new piston?

Any help will be very much appreciated!!

Thanks, Kris.

Before you pull the engine apart, swap injector 3 with another one and see if the cylinder where cracking the nuts off doesn't affect the running moves with it.

If it does move with it, it points to that injector being at fault. If it doesn't, then it's likely a problem with cylinder 3.

If it's been run on red, I'd be looking at finding a way of proving as such if you intend to run it on white for road use in the future. In case you get dipped, they will be able to tell that there has been red in the system.

Sounds like #3 cylinder is not firing properly (the white smoke being unburned fuel).

Do a compression-test: if #3 is down on pressure you know to look at valves/pistons (or possibly a cracked head?)

--Tanuki.

The trouble with real-life is the lack of cool background music.