Wild TD5

All4Fabrication

Hey guys,

Just wondering what is the most power achieved from a TD5. I know everyone does the VVT, ECU etc but that’s not what I mean. Forget about drivability or lag I want to know where all the huge power TD5's are or of the engine can even make large power.

Hypothetically, if someone wanted to fly the LR diesel flag and make a dyno monster, what is possible from the engine, where would internal issues start under high fuel/boost and are the internals up to higher hp.

I’m not about to build a 1000hp TD5 but doing a search online for high hp diesels and they are everywhere, most 1000+hp, I’ve just never heard of a TD5 getting anymore than a upgraded turbo and ECU.

Cheers

I did read some time back of a German company getting close to 800HP (at the drive wheels on a dyno) from an auto TD5 but that was after installing a new crank, pistons, chips etc. and increasing the displacement to 2.8 litres -- just why you would do this I do wonder about but then I'm a Luddite.

Look for Lara's build, that's just about the most insane Td5 around I think.

Oh yes, that build thread is awesome, bits missing off the end but attention to detail was amazing!

Now going hunting to see if I can find it.

From what I've read the more run of the mill modifications; (a variable turbo complimented by an appropriate intercooler, exhaust and remap), generate up to 220bhp after which the returns seem to start to trail off unless you get into spending thousands. Lara's build is a beautiful thing and there are a few crowds, one being in Australia, who offer a 2.8 rebuild as a service. But crunch the numbers, it's hugely expensive.

there are a lot of "200bhp" TD5's about, most of them i am not convinced actually create that amount of power. i have managed to keep up with a few in my (highly tuned) TDi, i cant see mine making any more than 135-140, although never had it dyno'd. as a result i cant see how that extra 60+ horsepower does nothing?

i have been in a claimed 230bhp TD5 and that was fast though. he had to have a paddle clutch fitted to take it and was forever going through drivetrain components.

i would love to see the numbers achievable with an international 2.8 engine too. they seem to be really strong in standard form

Lara's td5 was IIRC the 240bhp mark, that's the most I've heard of a td5 producing!

Most of the tunes td5s I think are a load of rubbish. As Mikey says, they don't seem that powerful. Along with knowing the effort and money that Lara went to to get his power.... Just a map, turbo and intercooler isn't going to be making over 200.

Lara's td5 was IIRC the 240bhp mark, that's the most I've heard of a td5 producing!

Most of the tunes td5s I think are a load of rubbish. As Mikey says, they don't seem that powerful. Along with knowing the effort and money that Lara went to to get his power.... Just a map, turbo and intercooler isn't going to be making over 200.

a td5 with an intercooler, map, exhaust & turbo same as what i have makes 200-210 approx,

i currently have a charge cooler, different manifold bigger air intake, modified MAF & Map sensors & a map thats turned up more than what you can buy from BAS, id be pretty sure its making a good bit more than 200.....

Plus looking at a reworked head next & increasing the turbo size slightly

• Like 1

Fitting a cummins along with the larger tyres and often axles to get the hearing is going to compromise handling. They make a great vehicle but if you want to go fast and change direction at the same time there are better options.

Will.