Disco TD5 ACE woes . . .

L19MUD

Hi all,

Whilst I'm by no means unfamiliar with slightly older land Rovers (OK anything without an ECU!) I'm not sure where to start with this problem.

Its an early V reg TD5 disco with air suspention and ACE.

The ACE light comes on correctly when turning on the ignition, and turns off when it starts. The light then does not come on until I am going a reasonable speed on a left hand corner. The ACE light then flashes red and a warning buzzer sounds.

I have not had it up on the ramp yet, but have check the fluid level, it s a little low but still plenty in the reservoir.

The light goes out again if I turn off and restart the car. It does not seem to me that the ACE is working at all as it does not seem to handle as well as other TD5 Discos I have driven (on Air)but this doesnt stack up with the light only coming on going round a corner.

Where would you suggest I start with this please?

Plug it into a computer and read off fault codes but I saw something very similar a few months back (fine till you chuck it into a bend) and it was a washer on one of the ACE pipes leaking so it wouldn't hold pressure, when the system tried to push the vehicle against a corner it leaked fluid and lost pressure and the warning light came on. Any puddles underneath?

the fluid resevoir doesnt have a swirl pot or anything fancy like that - so if the fluid is low and you wang it into a bend, could just simply be the sensor for the res is showing it as empty and bonging away on left hand turns!

top it up to the max level and run it and see if a) the fluid drops b) it still bongs at you on hard lefts...

ps. if you do have a leak, dont fret and dont look at landrovers crazy prices. Any hydraulics place will be able to make some replacement pipes and joints that can handle the pressures for next to nowt. We had the front right pipe replaced after it split with a brand new pipe made to order from our local agricultural engineers for £65

;)

Thanks everyone

I am getting it plugged in this weekend with a bit of luck, I cant really tell if there is an ACE puddle or not (there are other leaks!!)

Will get it on the ramp and investigate.

Hopefully this wont be as dire as I thought to sort out!

I has a similar issue, it was the "upper accelerometer" which was out tolerance. It sits in the plastic pod obove the rear view mirror.

After a few other problems, I discarded the ACE altogher.

I can confirm that on coil-sprung D2's removing ACE makes no significant difference to handling, but it does prevent warning lights!

On that topic. I still have a complete rear ACE ARB - if anyone wants one...

Quick update

I had a look at the weekend and it is pretty clear what is causing the problem, without plugging it in!!

The front damper is spewing out ACE fluid. I have purchased a second hand one for £50 on "the bay" and will be fitting it this weekend with any luck. Does anyone have any tips for bleeding the system after I have changed it?

Martin - I cant do away with the ACE as mine is an Air suspension car

• 2 months later...

In answer to MartinK's post by removing it I suggest you are saying you removed the ACE pump and fitted a 'blank' pulley blanked off the reservoir (or emptied it) and changed the cooling fan pulley. Then you changed both of the anti roll bars for solid ones. Seems like quite a lot of work to not have to do a lot of work. Your help on this would be appreciated as I doubt I can easily get the parts out here in Penang, Malaysia. My problem is a leak near the rear off side wheel arch (between the block and the wheel arch) but I haven't yet located the leak precisely. Changing one pipe if that is what it is sounds (note sounds) relatively easy.

Thank in advance.