24 Volt Stuff

derekn

<_<:unsure:<_<

Has anyone set up a 24 volt to 12 volt dipper? I would like to set up the lightweight with a CB and an outlet for a 12 volt cooler box. Has anyone experience with this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Derek

'82 Lightweightairportablehalfton B)

I fit a lot of 12 volt kit into HGV's I use the Alfatronix Power convertors. These are expensive but come with a lifetime garantee.

Really easy to connect up. A fused 24 volt supply +ve and earth go in and a +ve and earth come out. For a CB id use a 6 amp continuous with a peak of 10 amps.

Hope this helps

Martin

1996 Defender 90

I added a 10Amp 24-12V converter on our FFR Lightweight. I picked it up at an autojumble, so I don't really know it's heritage <_<

This has been used to power the CB socket, and a 12V lighter socket (to charge my phone!)

It also runs the Lumenition ignition module, and the LPG system, and so far I have not had any trouble. I also have a civvy distrubutor, coil and plugs, but thats a whole other story!

The Converter is installed in the box under the bonnet usually used to store the Jack in, with it's own Fuse box for distribution.

I can do some pictures tonight if you are interested.

Incidentally, you can get 12 (ish) volts from the dropper box on top of the engine, but I wouldn't recommend it. I believe you can also ger 12V from the alternator if you find the right pin, but I don't know what sort of current that would be (You can get 240 out of it too, but at naff all current! :o).

Cheers

Mark

Some pictures of the dropper setup:

The Dropper:

dropper3.JPG

The general Layout:

dropper2.JPG

This shows the Fuse box, which gives 3 Permanent 12V Feeds and 3 Switched Feeds on the ignition. The relay is switched by the ignition, which then switches on the 12V supply.

This is the panel on the dash:

dropper1.JPG

The switch and lamp are for the fog light (24V). There is also a cigarette lighter socket (12V) the areial socket for the CB and a 3-pin XLR which provides both a permanent and switched feed depending on what is required by whatever I want to plug in there.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Mark

That's a neat setup Mark.

Do you need a home for the old shielded distributer and leads? :D

Mike,

I did the conversion a couple of years ago, and the dizzy and leads were very quick to disappear to a mate with a 109 ffr! <_<:rolleyes:

Cheers

Mark

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Im in the process of fitting a dropper too. Previous owner of my '74 109 FFR fitted an electric fan - only it was a 12v one. He wired this directly ( via a cheap switch) to one of the batteries to get 12v. However, this causes one of the batteries to fail in relatively a short period of time ( probably from overcharging)

would a 10A dropper be sufficient to run the fan, cb and an aux socket?

Also, whats the actual battery spec for a 109 FFR 24v? It has a pair of 365CCA/70A's at the moment. Is this enough?

thanks,

des

• 4 weeks later...

Bear in mind that most voltage droppers will draw a small amount of current so if the vehicle sits for long periods between use it will run the batteries down - as I found out! I have fitted a switch to disconnect the droppers when not in use.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
I added a 10Amp 24-12V converter on our FFR Lightweight. I picked it up at an autojumble, so I don't really know it's heritage <_<

This has been used to power the CB socket, and a 12V lighter socket (to charge my phone!)

It also runs the Lumenition ignition module, and the LPG system, and so far I have not had any trouble. I also have a civvy distrubutor, coil and plugs, but thats a whole other story!

The Converter is installed in the box under the bonnet usually used to store the Jack in, with it's own Fuse box for distribution.

I can do some pictures tonight if you are interested.

Incidentally, you can get 12 (ish) volts from the dropper box on top of the engine, but I wouldn't recommend it. I believe you can also ger 12V from the alternator if you find the right pin, but I don't know what sort of current that would be (You can get 240 out of it too, but at naff all current! :o).

Cheers

Mark

Wow I dug up a good old thread here. Gotta love the search feature. :)

A few weeks ago I bought a 66 IIa ex-MoD so it's got a 24 volt system. I love Mark's converter box set up and am planning on doing the same to mine. However, I also noticed your statement regarding using the civilian spec distributor, coil, plugs and assume wires too...how did you swing that still keeping the 24 system generator and starter???

Any specifics are greatly appreciated.

Jen

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The ignition system of an ffr landrover is 12 volts exept when starting when its 24 volts aids cold start

So in essence, I would only need to swap my distributor, coil and plugs/wires from the shielded style that it currently has to the standard civilian counterparts? In the US, it is very expensive to source these shielded tune-up parts so it would be great to be able to run civilian bits while still keeping the 90amp generator.

Is this correct?