300tdi overheated now wont start next day

indoken

hi

help needed

yesterday i was driving my 300tdi when i lost all coolant and overheated badly. managed to limp home stopping to refill water every 2 miles. the expansion tank had split so i have got a replacement. now however the engine tries but fails to start. lots of smoke comming out the back that looks like unburned fuel but no firing. could this be a symtom of a warped head/blown gasket.

thanks.

ken

Hi

I'd pull either the heater plugs or injectors and crank it over to see if you have water where it shouldn't be - it'll squirt out when you crank it so look out

If so it is possible to bend a conrod just trying to start it so head off and check it all

An initial test would be to pressure the water system 10 - 12 psi and see if the pressure stays (good) or drops (bad)

hth

Steveb

Glad to hear it wasn't as catastrophic as mine!

Good luck when it's all back together. I ended up fitting a RR expansion tank with a level sensor in it so it wouldn't happen to me again, or if it did, I would know about it quicker.

In the end it turned out that I had a leak on the heater matrix and that was causing the water loss. That was a major pain to change....

Cheers

Peter