Fitting TD5 Seats into a 1983 110

Hi all,

I have finally got fed up of having to unbolt the range rover front seats I have fitted in our 110 whenever I need to get to the battery. Can anyone tell me if TD5 defender seats will bolt into a 1983 110 CSW?

I'm sure I've read somewhere before that all the tdi ones will fit but that TD5 ones wont'. Just can't find anything to agree or disagree now and there are lots of TD5 front seats coming up.

Thanks

Ed

Yep, straight in with no drilling, though enlarging the four seat base holes to fit rivnuts helps with the initial installation and later removal and refitting if needed, if they aren't already secured with rivnuts.

Remember that Defenders use separate belt stalks, not attached to the seat like RRCs.

Playing Devil's avocado briefly: why do you need to get to the battery so much? Would fitting an anderson connector and investing in a suitable set of jump leads remove some of the need? Clearly one needs to inspect the battery, grease terminals, and so forth, every so often, but even so...A set of leads+anderson connectors might work out cheaper than TD5 seats.

It's a thought anyway.

There was a change in early 90/110 production from seats that used eight bolts per seat (like Series III) to ones that only used four. I'm not sure when this change occured, might have been 1987 when a lot of other interior stuff changed.

It will be fairly obvious what type your vehicle had as the seatbox will have double sets of holes, but even if it does the later four-bolt seats can be fitted easily enough. It's just holes in the seatbox after all, some washers and nuts underneath will have them secured. Or rivnuts if you're feeling flash as above :)

The seat rails are well regarded, but it depends on how tall you are as to whether you need them. At 6', I'd benefit, but 109s have low windscreens, so can't fit them on mine. I may end up fitting them to my wife's 90, though.

I fitted Mud Rails to my 1983 110 SW. I am 6'4", so the extra legroom was well worthwhile. You do sit higher as a result, but I still have no problems with the top of the screen cutting off vision.

However .... teenage offspring now fight not to sit behind me !

Thanks for the info guys. We've had to get at the battery quite a bit recently due to starting issues. Also although the range rover seats are nice I'd prefer to have defender ones. Long term I do want to fit an anderson connector.

Thanks

Ed