Why are Ex-MOD Defenders so much more expensive than standard Defender

jameshub

this is a question I've been wondering about for a while.

my 1987 Defender came direct from Withams and unlike the other 10 or so I looked at there, this came with 3 large envelops full of every nut and bolt which had been changed etc, it even shows where it had been working.

However, as some of you would have seen from my recent post, I am looking at replacing the N/A with a 200TDi as I need more power when in Norway along the roads and up the mountains.

I just can't quite understand why Ex-MOD as more expensive, because if I spend £1500 on a 200TDi (including full installation as I couldn't do it) then I would probably be cheaper to sell it now, without the replacement engine and buy a normal 200TDi

Or, am I missing something?

All opinions welcome!

Because people pay!

Yes I agree, why anyone would want a basic 2.5 na and pay a premium for it is beyond me.

There are some exceptions, but most ex mod stuff is nothing special.

so in your opinion I should sell it and buy a non mod with a 200TDi and not spend the money replacing existing one?

If you know the vehicle, its structurally and mechanically sound, and you've already paid the premium for it, I'd stick with what you have. Adding a 200tdi is only going to add to its appeal and lets face it, you bought an Ex-MOD for a reason in the first place.

If its going to cost £1,500 to have a 200tdi fitted including the engine and you know the engine is good, I'd be going down that route. The worst thing you could do would be to sell your nice, sound Ex-MOD and buy what looks like a decent 200tdi standard Defender, but end up with a crock with a decent engine that will cost a LOT more than £1,500 to get up to spec. I know, I got stung with what looked and drove like a decent 300tdi 90 and turned out to be a money pit!!

Then again, if the Ex-MOD is showing signs of age, the chassis is starting to melt away and you're not sure its going to last too long, that changes everything :D

Mat

so in your opinion I should sell it and buy a non mod with a 200TDi and not spend the money replacing existing one?

Depends, I'd certainly agree with what Mat said.

By the time you add decent seats, power steering and a proper engine the whole thing starts to get very expensive.

Fine if realy want a military vehicle but if it's just the look or the practicality then IMO it's possible to get both cheaper starting with a civy vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a rumour going around that the MOD either:

1. Keep them in a warehouse for all of their lives

2. The MOD have scores of squaddies around to service them and keep them pristine!

Also Withams have a monopoly...

Cheers,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I'd find somewhere cheaper than a grand and a half to source and fit a 200 tdi (or 300....).

But to be fair I've wondered this myself, alot of ex MOD stuff is rubbish, some is mint. just don't see why people think their worth so much more for something thats slower, alot louder if its tent topped and doesn't like you turning the steering wheel in a car park.

• 2 months later...

There is a rumour going around that the MOD either:

1. Keep them in a warehouse for all of their lives

2. The MOD have scores of squaddies around to service them and keep them pristine!

Also Withams have a monopoly...

Cheers,

Mike

1) Yes they do keep many vehicles dry stored for long periods, but they have a massive number of vehicles, and seem to rotate them, so whilst any given vehicle may have been stored for a few years in a climate controlled facility it has probably spent the other 15odd years of its life getting thrashed about by troops

2) Having worked alongside both serving and former VM's I would not be keen to buy any former military equipment at all

• 11 months later...

As with most vehicles - assess each one on its own merit and try not to be duped into XYZ is automatically better.

1500 quid to fit a 200 tdi also sounds a lot to me - can you do any of the work yourself. There again if that is a turnkey and includes engine / clutch / plumbing and exhaust....

• 5 years later...

Hi I've just bought myself a long wheelbase ex Army land rover  snach defender 300tdi  in fantastic condition I have to say it is bombproof  .only driven 5,500 miles in northern Ireland.

The good thing about Ex military vehicles is that the vehicle has been fully reassembled  as of many .

13 hours ago, John mills said:

Hi I've just bought myself a long wheelbase ex Army land rover  snach defender 300tdi  in fantastic condition I have to say it is bombproof  .only driven 5,500 miles in northern Ireland.

The good thing about Ex military vehicles is that the vehicle has been fully reassembled  as of many .

Not quite bomb proof , I believe the problem was 

Gluv 🇬🇧

• Like 1