Hardtop Side Compatibility (90 or 110 sides on an 88'')

wood-gee

Just a quick one!

I've currently got a truck cab, but was thinking of putting my hard top back on my 88''. Sadly one windows been smashed, and the other had been replaced with some seriously ratty perspex by a previous owner. Was hoping that defender station wagon sides would fit, as there seems to be more of them about with opening windows, and the windows are larger to boot which is an added bonus.

A quick search of the forum suggested that a 90's sides won't fit on an 88'' as they're too long, but that the sides off a 110, or a 109'' would do, is this correct? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Jake

I can confirm that an 88” sides will fit a 110, which isn’t the question you were asking, but am sure a Series-person will be along soon to confirm compatibility ‘the other way round’.

What I will say though, is if you’re concerned about leaks and rattles, CSW sides for a 110 could well be a case of out of the frying pan, into the fire! They are a terrible design. It can be cured by drastic measures (there’s a thread on here about replacing them with a solid piece of glass). I’d suggest that you’re better off keeping it ‘standard’ and replacing the quarter lights on 88” sides, albeit that might be a bit spendy if you do it all with new parts and OE rubbers.

Thanks, if they fit without modification I see no reason why the 110 sides wouldn't fit in that case. Also thanks for the head up on the noise front, I kind of assumed they might be better given that they were off a newer vehicle, but apparently not!

I since hunted out my hard top in the shed, to find that the perspex side had just been bolted over the window hole, (for some reason I'd originally thought they'd replaced the whole side with it), so based on what you guys have said, think I might just get some perspex, cut it to shape and put that in place of the old windows and use that.

Thanks for the help though, and especially for the heads up on dubious 110 windows.

110 windows do rattle, but it's simple to fix. The rattles are from the sliding pane rattling in the plastic lower channel (the top and front are felt). You could replace the lower channel with rubber channel from a company like Woollies Trim, or just add a few wedges between the glass and plastic (bits of black cable tie work well and are invisible) if you rarely open the windows. A long strip of plastic, or even cloth, glued in along the length of one side of the channel would be a better solution that would cure the rattle and allow the window to be opened, which is very helpful to rear passengers (or for leaving dogs in the car if you add window mesh guards) in summer.

I've fitted 88" sides to a 110 SW, no problem, however the 88" sides had to have the seal retaining strip removed, so it may not work the otherway.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gazzar,

I am about to do the same with my 110SW, having already got the 88 panels and refurbished them.

By seal retaining strip you mean the L-shaped section where the passenger door seal attaches to the side panel (riveted in Series vehicles)? In my case this is a removable bracket which is screwd to the panel. It's kept, isn't it?

Were there any other modifications you had to do, eg. relocating fixing holes etc? I'm asking as I have to do this in my drive and need to be finished by the end of the day.

I haven't yet dismantled the plastic cover on my original panels as this is my daily drive, but I assume that there is some bracket there for the upper mounting of the passenger safety belts? Can this be swapped over or how did you solve the upper seat belt mounting?

Hope you can shed some light on these questions as I have been postponing this job for a while and would like to start on it. And thanks for taking your time, too!

Cheers

Boris

Hi Gazzar,

I am about to do the same with my 110SW, having already got the 88 panels and refurbished them.

By seal retaining strip you mean the L-shaped section where the passenger door seal attaches to the side panel (riveted in Series vehicles)? In my case this is a removable bracket which is screwd to the panel. It's kept, isn't it?

Were there any other modifications you had to do, eg. relocating fixing holes etc? I'm asking as I have to do this in my drive and need to be finished by the end of the day.

I haven't yet dismantled the plastic cover on my original panels as this is my daily drive, but I assume that there is some bracket there for the upper mounting of the passenger safety belts? Can this be swapped over or how did you solve the upper seat belt mounting?

Hope you can shed some light on these questions as I have been postponing this job for a while and would like to start on it. And thanks for taking your time, too!

Cheers

Boris

Hi Boris,

I don't think there was much to it, if I recall. No show stoppers, anyway. I was also fitting a bulkhead between the mid row seats and the rear - it was a tax fiddle and I had to meet certain specifications for the vehicle to be considered commercial, so the seat belt mounts had to be half covered, but I think they just swapped over, or there might have been one or two holes that had to be adjusted. But as I say - no show stoppers.

Do one side each weekend, buy the seals beforehand (genuine) and you should be good.

Oh, and I think I didn't keep the L strips on the 88 sides.

G.

• 6 years later...
On 8/8/2014 at 10:36 AM, Daan said:

I ran 109 station wagon sides on my 88".

Daan

Hi Daan- I find myself in the same situation; I want to fit 110 SW side panels to my S2a 88, as I really prefer the looks of the square angles on the SW windows. 
Can you please confirm they were straight forward L4L fits (incl fixing holes and seals?)

thank you