Black Smoke

ClaireBear

Hi, can anyone give me some advice please. My towed the caravan down to Newquay and noticed that my TD4 Freelander has started chucking out black smoke - could this be the breather blocked and is so does or can anyone recommend where to get it replaced in or around Newquay, Cornwall. Thanks :unsure:

Black smoke means more fuel is going in than air - I'd be looking at things like delaminated air-hoses between the turbo/intercooler/engine, or possibly a hose has blown-off in the heat of the moment so 'measured air' [that is, air that's gone through the MAF-sensor] is leaking away before it gets to the engine.

Suddenly happened or you've only just noticed?

Also - huge clouds of smoke or just a little bit when working hard?

Unlikely your air filter has suddenly become totally blocked, and I reckon the TD4's airflow meter would pick that up & meter fuel accordingly. Common and easily remedied TD4 failures are split turbo/intercooler hoses.