Replacing brake servo

Jumped into my wife's 300 tdi last night and had the shock of my life while trying to brake - blimey they are rubbish - has to litterally stand on the pedal to avoid the back of a van.

Looks like the brake servo is leaking (it has all new lines/brake shoes/fluid etc etc) can I replace the servo without needing to empty the master cylinder etc of brake fluid etc - if so how do I go about doing this ?

Thanks very much

thanks for the replies - brake rebuild was done about 1000 miles ago - I don't drive it that much and remarked at the time of the rebuild that they were "pants" - the usual "they will bed" reply came. Clearly they have not improved any since then.

I'll check the vaccum pump tonight - I have not got anything to meansure the pressure - will have to do the thumb thing ...

Had a TD5 before can can't recall the brakes being this dire.....

Thanks

thanks for the replies - brake rebuild was done about 1000 miles ago - I don't drive it that much and remarked at the time of the rebuild that they were "pants" - the usual "they will bed" reply came. Clearly they have not improved any since then.

I'll check the vaccum pump tonight - I have not got anything to meansure the pressure - will have to do the thumb thing ...

Had a TD5 before can can't recall the brakes being this dire.....

Thanks

Alternatively, pump the brake pedal a few times with the engine off. Apply pressure to the brake pedal and, whilst keeping the pressure on the pedal start the engine. The brake peadl should go down a bit as the vaccuum builds up in the servo.

HTH.

Mark.

Update........ Took the vacuum pipe off the brake servo and there is a very slight negative pressure only enough to just feel it on your index finger

the brake pedal does sink slightly upon start up

left the vacuum pipe off and drove down the lane, and the brakes were no different than before. Does the servo retain the vacuum without the pipe being fixed

am now confused!!

Update........ Took the vacuum pipe off the brake servo and there is a very slight negative pressure only enough to just feel it on your index finger

the brake pedal does sink slightly upon start up

left the vacuum pipe off and drove down the lane, and the brakes were no different than before. Does the servo retain the vacuum without the pipe being fixed

am now confused!!

When the vac pipe is removed you loose the vacuum so no servo assist....my guess would be the vac pump needs replacing.