Discovery Gross Vehicle Weight Or MAM GVW Etc

rivington

I have a 1995 Disco 300 TDI 3 Door and I am trying to find out the unladen weight and also the gross weight also known as MAM?

Reason I am asking is I am wanting to tow a caravan but due to the fact I passed my test after 1997 I am only allowed a combined weight of 3500kg and my log book nor the vin plate have any weight details on them.

Thanks in advance.

Rather than sell the Disco, which will tow that van perfectly, I would contact the Caravan club. They will be able to advise you. Maybe take the Part E ( I think) and solve the problem that way.

Apart from that, The disco is one of the best towing vehicles on the market.

My disco is 2720 Kg Gross Vehicle weight and My Caravan is 1040 Kg adding up to 3760Kg. This according to the manual is 260Kg over weight!. But without a visit to the weigh bridge to prove it, neither the car or van is loaded to its maximum. So I have to assume I am OK, but not many other cars can get the recommended ratio of car to van weight. I was pushing it with my 2.9i Granada and this van.

Check out the caravan club website first before committing more cash to the problem.

be aware that if you are caught over weight, you are not insured as you don't have the correct license to be driving the vehicle.

I have looked into taking the +E license and it seems very expensive - around £600 for the course!

I took the part E test back in 2004. Its mostly common sence. I couldn't afford a £600 course so thought I just have a go at taking the test after a bit of practise with my dad's help. Test cost around £80 and I failed it the first time so it cost me £160 all in. I managed to find the examiners hand book on the net so I knew what standard was expected etc.

Hi there,

I also passed after 1997 and tow horse trailers having taken the E test. The test fee is £109, I took my lessons with a local driing school, some offer the towing lessons, it cost me £142 for the course using my own car and trailer, the cost would have been £220 using theirs. That is for someone who has some experience towing and reversing.

The test consists of hitching and unhitching in the correct order, and a series of simple tasks, mainly reversing, followed by upto an hour of driving on public roads, and finally a controlled stop.

It is worth bearing in mind that you are legal to tow if you display an 'L' plate on the trailer and vehicle and have someone in the vehicle who has the B+E from before 1997, or has passed their test at least 3 years ago, much the same as a standard learner driver, this will give you lots of experience whilst remaining legal.

Beware that if you do decide to replace the disco there is now lots of legislation concerning tow vehicle compatibilty, this may be easier using caravans as they are lighter than a horse trailer with 2 horses in, but the disco really is the best tow car out their, and will give the highest level of safety if an incident occurs.

Any questions concerning towing legislation and the test let me know, I did lots before I bought my disco, and my wife is transport researcher and is currently doing an investigation into the whole situation.

My disco is 2720 Kg Gross Vehicle weight and My Caravan is 1040 Kg adding up to 3760Kg. This according to the manual is 260Kg over weight!.

Not sure that's right actually Richard - Disco Tdi is rated to tow a trailer with a MAM of 3500kg on overrun brakes.

Which manual did you get your figure from?

Matt

I don't know what this MAM is, I understand GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) and GTW (Gross Train Weight - including the trailer).

GVW for a Discovery is 2720kg IIRC, and GTW should be that plus the 3500kg max towing weight for a trailer, which is a bit over six tons.

I don't know what this MAM is, I understand GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) and GTW (Gross Train Weight - including the trailer).

GVW for a Discovery is 2720kg IIRC, and GTW should be that plus the 3500kg max towing weight for a trailer, which is a bit over six tons.

Stephen,

MAM = Maximum Authorised Mass - also known as the Gross Vehicle Weight....

UK driving licence regs changed some time ago, and it's all gone horribly complicated. The info is available on the Direct-Gov website, but after I read the first couple of paragraphs all I saw was "blah blah blah..."

Matt

Sounds about right these days - take something that is as obvious as the nose on your face ("this is how much your ruddy vehicle can weigh, and this is how much your ruddy vehicle and your ruddy trailer can weigh together") and swap it for something that might mean either :rolleyes: - I couldn't figure it out from the site either but as stupid EU regulations don't exactly apply here I rapidly gave up in disinterest :)

as far as I can work out:

You can tow a trailer up to 750KG providing the MAM of the train doesn't exceed 3500KG

You can tow a trailer over 750KG providing the MAM of the train doesn't exceed 3500KG and the MAM of the Trailer doesn't exceed the Unladen weight of the Tow Car

as far as I can work out:

You can tow a trailer up to 750KG providing the MAM of the train doesn't exceed 3500KG

You can tow a trailer over 750KG providing the MAM of the train doesn't exceed 3500KG and the MAM of the Trailer doesn't exceed the Unladen weight of the Tow Car

Yes I beleive that is correct for overrun brakes. If the weight of the trailer is greater than the car it says you must have couppled brakes not overrun which I assume is something like the air brakes that are on HGV trailers?

I have looked into taking the E test but it seems expensive for what it is and if I fail it there will be more costs to add retaking it etc. It is all a bit complicated really, someone has suggested getting the Disco downrated, I need the gross weight to be no more than 2250kg as my caravan is 1250kg GVW or MAM. I have an Audi A4 TDi which I towed it with for a whole 60 miles before it killed it, I am now waiting for the Audi to get fixed, lol.

I have also just looked a the log book for the Disco and it says REVENUE WEIGHT 3500kg...???

I would like to be able to keep the Disco if I could but if the only way around is by taking my cat E test then I may just have to sell the Disco and by a 2.5 vectra or omega etc and hope that can do the job.

Yes I beleive that is correct for overrun brakes. If the weight of the trailer is greater than the car it says you must have couppled brakes not overrun which I assume is something like the air brakes that are on HGV trailers?

You may be right, but in that case how come Land Rover quote (or used to quote anyway) a towing weight of 3500kg with overrun brakes, and 4000kg with coupled brakes? :unsure:

The only Defenders which could weigh 3500kg are fully loaded Def 130s, and any 110s which have the heavy duty suspension option (otherwise they are about 3050kg GVW).

So is it now irrelevant that any vehicle has a towing weight over about 2 tons because you are not allowed to tow a trailer heavier than the vehicle? My Ifor Williams trailer has a gross wt of 2700kg so technically in the UK I would not be allowed to tow it fully loaded then? :unsure:

Thankfully not a problem here though :)

You may be right, but in that case how come Land Rover quote (or used to quote anyway) a towing weight of 3500kg with overrun brakes, and 4000kg with coupled brakes? :unsure:

The only Defenders which could weigh 3500kg are fully loaded Def 130s, and any 110s which have the heavy duty suspension option (otherwise they are about 3050kg GVW).

So is it now irrelevant that any vehicle has a towing weight over about 2 tons because you are not allowed to tow a trailer heavier than the vehicle? My Ifor Williams trailer has a gross wt of 2700kg so technically in the UK I would not be allowed to tow it fully loaded then? :unsure:

Thankfully not a problem here though :)

You're right Stephen.

Licensing regs changed after 1997. Those of us who passed our tests before then retain "grandfather rights" though - which means that I can have a gross train weight of something like 8.25 tonnes before I have to worry....

Stupid thing is, I know people that have never taken a towing test yet are more competent and know far more about trailers and towing than those who have done all the training...

Just goes to show that you can't teach experience... :rolleyes:

Matt

for me it would read you will compromise towing ability and safety by selling the disco for a vectra?,

Consider the long term benefit of taking the test, as has been said, skip the lessons download the test book. i am sure their will be lessons online also. and go straight to the test! I would say they are only going to make things harder and worse in the future so if you wanna keep towing in the future get the test now before they change it again then make you jump thropugh even more hoops or make lessons compulsory.

On a side note i think wear and tear on a smaller vehicle is going to add upto more than the test cost in the long run? happy to be corrected but the Disco will last much longer than a vectra will when hauling a large lump around!

nb: this is defence of a LR is not to be used against me in a court of jap vs LR discussion! :P

they used the quote because land rover produced a defender with air brakes.