TD5 vibration under load @ +50MPH

gadget

I'm getting a vibration and droning noise on my TD5 when under load. It comes in at a little over 50MPH and is pronounced from there until about 67MPH.

It sounds very similar to this problem other thread but there's no resolution from the OP :(

The vibration is road speed controlled and occurs at the above speeds in either 3rd, 4th or 5th gear irrespective of engine RPM.

Lifting off the throttle reduces the drone and vibration to almost none.

There's no additional vibration felt through the steering wheel, but the vibration is felt through the gear lever.

All UJs are new and don't have any obvious play in them.

Could the doughnut cause the vibration and the drone?

Any thoughts?

It's easy to check the doughnut - look for splits in the rubber. Are the propshaft splines ok? Other things - misalignment of the U/J yokes, unbalanced prop, unbalanced tyres, deformed tyres, badly worn propshaft bearings (transfer box end and diff end). DMF worn, etc, etc.

Hope it's not the DMF - they are a pig to replace on a Disco and expensive.

Les.

It's easy to check the doughnut - look for splits in the rubber. Are the propshaft splines ok? Other things - misalignment of the U/J yokes, unbalanced prop, unbalanced tyres, deformed tyres, badly worn propshaft bearings (transfer box end and diff end). DMF worn, etc, etc.

Hope it's not the DMF - they are a pig to replace on a Disco and expensive.

There are no obvious splits or cracks in the doughnut.

Propshaft splines appear fine.

The marks on the props and yolks that were made when the UJs were replaced all line up.

It doesn't feel like a tyre problem, but i'll swap them around and see if the noise/vibration changes at all.

It could be the double cardan bit of the front propshaft on the way out - is there any movement up and down on the transfer box end of the front prop?

The UJs and the centre bearing in the DC were replaced probably 700-800 miles go.

The joints still feel tight.

I've driven the discovery about from cold for 20 or so miles and then got underneath to see if there's any obvious warming of any of the UJs but they all seem ok.

Swapped the wheels around today and there's no difference in the noise/vibration.

Swung on the UJs again and there's no play in them.

I had another closer look at the doughnut and there are some very fine circular surface cracks around the bolt holes, very similar to perished rubber cracks. No obvious splits or tears though.

Replaced the doughnut and centring bush today. (The new doughnut is about 5mm thicker than the original)

The old one wasn't damaged in any way, but the rubber is MUCH softer than the new one.

The vibration has subsided tremendously, but I still have the drone.

It sounds like a wheel bearing, but there's no play in any of them.

Swerving hard left and right doesn't change the tone or amplitude of the drone.

Now the vibrations are much less I can detect the drone on overrun too, but it's only slight.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd love to know this too as mine has just started doing it as well.

Seems to be just when engine is under load, and not all the time then either. It's slightly ominous but sounds the same as you chaps.

On top of that there's a quietish 'twittering' sort of noise sometimes when engine is under load too. I keep thinking it's a turbo fault but not sure. It's certainly not a normal noise for a turbo to be making if it is coming from there!

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. Any easy way to be sure if they're shot - eg is it the case if I can wiggle them by hand then they're gone or something?

And is it likely to be just one that needs doing or....?

Presume this is the right bit(s) that I'd need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-TD5-PROPSHAFT-U-J-/370551665969?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item564699b531#ht_500wt_1054

Any hassle to replace them or easy/straightforward?

Anyway, after reading about this dodgy donut issue I popped out to have a scan under the car to check out the condition.

It's not good and is full of cracks but isn't actually splitting apart or anything yet.

Needs replacing from the look of it (see for yourself below), but what sort of state are they usually in to start causing vibrations?

It's started happening fairly suddenly over the last few days, and only does the vibrate thing some of the time, but it does seem to kick in around 50mph mostly, and often has a deep drone sound with it, which seems to match what other people have said with theirs. The squeak thing seems to have begun at the same time, but could just be coincidence I guess.,

Here's what we're looking at on mine - looks ropey but no idea what these are like when others have had this problem:

photo1-7.jpg

photo2-7.jpg

Cheers

My donut wasn't cracked anywhere near as much as yours appears to be, but replacing it removed a lot of vibration.

Don't forget to check the centring bush inside the propshaft at the same end.

Some UJs show their fault by becoming loose and having visible play when force is applied, some have rusted bearings and are tight, others might have debris in their bearings and feel rough when moved.

Whip a prop off and move the UJs by hand. They should be free and have smooth movement.

Take a look at http://www.discovery2.co.uk/propshafts.html it shows how to rebuilt the front propshaft. Rear is the same principle but only has one UJ.

Thanks chief - I will definitely get the donut ordered in the morning then!

In terms of the bush you mention - I take it that's something that has to be ordered separately? Any idea on the part number? No worries if not.

Assume it will be visibly worn if it needs replacing but will have a look.

Noticed of course with UJs that they have grease nipple I think so perhaps one has dried out and has caused it to squeak.

Either way, if I have to remove the shaft to fit the donut I will check them out fully at that point, but will have a quick look in the meantime to see if I can spy anything obvious.

Thanks for the info anyway - am hopeful this is where the vibration must be coming from given symptoms matching other people's and mine is worse than yours was etc. Cheers for the link too - saw a similar how to earlier on but not the same one. Always good to see a couple of takes on a job.

So currently awaiting delivery of:

New rad top hose (to see if it solves the coolant loss through bleed screw)

New thermostat (in case the coolant issues relate to that somehow - doubt it but you never know)

New intercooler hoses (silicone ones)

New header tank cap (in case that is related to the coolant issues somehow)

And a donut and possible UJs to order.

I won't making a list for the rest of the car!!!

Especially since I've started getting really naughty thoughts on a variable vane turbo to go with the current chip/boost box/huge intercooler. Would go REALLY nicely with those other bits I have to say.... :ph34r:

I've not found the centring bush available as a separate item.

Ebay item #230664368128 is a GKN donut with a centring bush.

Don't worry about making a list for the rest of the car, there'll always be enough things to change without a list :)

Ooh - good spot mate, that's cheaper than the one I was about to buy earlier. Dunno why I didn't spot the same one, cheers anyway.

Well aside from coolant issues the car could do with a respray as the lacquer is all coming off the bonnet, locks need looking at, as does one rear window, etc etc. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

i have this same sort of vibration, i had changed 2 front props, rear prop+donut& center bush, cleaned ecu,maf,aap,map, de egrd, both front wheeelhubs and nothing... i wonder what is left? DMF? is there anyway possible to check this? thanks!

I've changed both props, donut, bush + centring pin, both transfer box output bearings, wheels and tyres.

I still can't find the cause of the vibration.

My transfer box doesn't have CDL and the front output flange appears to have more play in it than the transfer box on my Defender.

I'm out of ideas at the moment.