leaky sunroof

carl4953

Happy new year all.

After driving the wretched freelander the other night i noticed the sun roof appears to have a weak spot ?? whilst in the drivers seat looking up at the sunroof at the front edge slap bang in the middle is what looks like a small felt strip which was soaking wet ? what puzzles me is its had a brand new sun roof, mechanism, glass, even motor, is this a common problem with these cars ?? when the old sun roof was replaced the whole mechanism was very rusty indeed ?

Is it me being too picky about this car or is this kind of thing you just have to expect ?

Any thoughts ?

• 1 year later...

HI all

rather than start a new thread I thought i would 'bump' this one again..

I too have also got this common proplem of a leaking sunroof :( ... so is there any way of fixing this or does anyone know the cause of it ??
(seals, glass tension) etc etc...

I would rather fix it myself to so any help or tips would be cool

thanks

Leaking sunroofs are usually caused by the drains being blocked. Just like the drains on your house, if they're blocked the water has to go somewhere. First check the drains at the fron and back of the sunrroof, they are connected to pipes that go down the A pillar and to the rear, right at the back door.

It's a pain to get off, but I would recommend removing the headlining until you get to the bottom of the leaks.

PS I am assuming this is a 5 door, if it's a 3 door you're talking about then disregard all of the above, lol

• 3 weeks later...

yeah its a 5 door pal.. and cheers matey I will have a look into the drains thanks ...makes sense :)

how would you go about unblocking them though ????

Time to get the haynes out .... I have always dreaded taking head liners out of cars tho grrr .. (be sure to take a few calms before hand) sure i'll get to the bottom of it..
thanks

yeah its a 5 door pal.. and cheers matey I will have a look into the drains thanks ...makes sense :)

how would you go about unblocking them though ????

Time to get the haynes out .... I have always dreaded taking head liners out of cars tho grrr .. (be sure to take a few calms before hand) sure i'll get to the bottom of it..

thanks

The head lining is a pain to get out, takes ages, but not particulartly difficult. It's the best way to ensure that you can properly check the drains and the rubber grommets at the cable entries. The drains have pipes attached and they just pull off, then you should be able to get your fingers in, the holes are reasonably large.

Fortunately the headlining isn't glued to the roof, so there's little chance of damage, if you're careful.

• 1 month later...

The drains have pipes attached and they just pull off, then you should be able to get your fingers in, the holes are reasonably large.

ah right ok then so does that mean that the only thing blocked will be the pipes, I can remove them clean and refit and that should be it? cool Thanks

• 1 year later...

up date

my sunroof mechanism is completely fubared now.

I now need a new mechanism and seals on the roof side of the glass ...
I know this is a crazy job ..but has any one got any tips on replacing either?

p.s .. I still to this day have'nt found out any thing to do with drains etc ...the only thing i have seen that makes the sunroof leak is due to roof rack bolts and perished seals