300 tdi .... ticking noise

gelf

mate has a 300tdi disco just bought it 140k on it.......... there is a ticking noise from the left hand side of the engine.

previous owner said it had been like it for 6 months and that he had. had the valves and timing checked and they were fine.

any ideas?

Vacuum pump or lift pump.

If it is the lift pump and been doing it for 6 months then it will be down on power. Run the engine and crack off the bleed screw on the top of the filter. You should get a strong pulsing flow of diesel. If not - lift pump is knackered.

If it is the vacuum pump, unlikely to be anything noticeably wrong....until it stops working completely when you will loose servo assistance on the brakes.

mate has a 300tdi disco just bought it 140k on it.......... there is a ticking noise from the left hand side of the engine.

left hand side looking from the front? vac pump or fuel lift pump as others have said,

left hand side sitting in the drivers seat? exhaust manifold or the dreaded headgasket tick.

Vacuum pump or lift pump.

If it is the lift pump and been doing it for 6 months then it will be down on power. Run the engine and crack off the bleed screw on the top of the filter. You should get a strong pulsing flow of diesel. If not - lift pump is knackered.

If it is the vacuum pump, unlikely to be anything noticeably wrong....until it stops working completely when you will loose servo assistance on the brakes.

Just had the lift pump problem on mine, pulled up at the breadknives sisters house to hear something like a tap running, it was diesel pouring onto the road, it got fixed by unscrewing the feed from the fuel tank and the output to the fuel filter and connecting them together with a short peice of hose and some jubilee clips.

Works a treat but then I heard the ticking noise. Covered the out put on the fuel lift pump with my finger and the noise went away. Brand new lift pump only set me back £18, but I need the bolts off the old pump and some olives to fit on the new lift pump pipes so I can hook it all up again.

While we are on this, can someone confirm to me that on the fuel lift pump the bottom hose is the feed from the fuel tank and the top hose is the output to the fuel filter??

Ta