Automatic or Manual.....?

Carpy

Hi newbie here looking at buying my first Freelander now i'll be using it off road a little bit nothing drastic just dirt tracks etc whilst I'm shooting ....now I've made up my mind to have a td4 the question manual or automatic is there much difference between them on m.p.g. ? on road ? thank's in advance Graham

i may have one for sale shortly. engine has just been replaced with a lower mileage unit and other bits and bobs too. its an auto, the owner wants to get a newer one this is an 05 plate in bonatti grey (i think sport variety) with the leather trim,

ill have words and see what they want to do, although its not quite finished yet, would come with 12 mths ticket though :)

where abouts in the world are you?

I'd agree with Elbekko for some of the tighter off-road stuff, the Freelander does suffer from a lack of low-range gearing off-road that an Auto will compensate for. That said I've off-roaded both my manuals and as long as you are aware of when you're abusing the clutch and don't overdo it (and stop & let it cool down if it starts to smell clutchy) it will live fine. Manual will give slightly better MPG.

Auto's are slower, less fun to drive and typically lower mpg than manual counter parts.

Off road, well some people just prefer manuals to auto's, but auto's can be very good. In the case of the Freelander however, the TD4 manual is WAAAAY to easy to stall. And the clutches suck on FL's for off road use. An auto will be better in this regard. If mpg isn't a major issue, check out a KV6 powered one.

If mpg isn't a major issue, check out a KV6 powered one.

But if you do, make damned sure you know the issues with KV6's before buying, and it better be cheap! The diesels are at least fairly bulletproof engines whereas the petrols are great engines but with known issues that a lot of people don't fix properly.

Well lad's I bit the bullet this afternoon And I done something that I've never ever even thought about doing before ......I bought a none runner !!!! :wacko: However there is a tale behind it and i'll be opening a new thread looking for advice !! I don't think it's a major issue and I bought it well cheap it's a 53 plate commercial special edition manual !!! I'm buzzing just need a good land rover mechanic now :i-m_so_happy:

But if you do, make damned sure you know the issues with KV6's before buying, and it better be cheap! The diesels are at least fairly bulletproof engines whereas the petrols are great engines but with known issues that a lot of people don't fix properly.

I've not heard of many issues with the KV6's. We've had two of those engines (MG ZS 180 and 825 Sterling) with no bother at all.

As for the 1.8's, I think the internet highly inflates the issues with them too. Our 1.8 Freelander did need a HG doing, but was fine once done. Surprisingly it also wasn't much different on fuel compared to the Td4 Freelander that replaced it. That said, anyone buying a 1.8 should expect to do the HG at least once. But get it done right and they are cracking engines.

My TD4 manual averages around 39 and never does less than 36, the 1.8 is listed at around 27. I would say that you had a fault with the TD4 if it was anywhere near the same as the 1.8.

I had a TD4 auto a while back and it averged 32mpg

I've not heard of many issues with the KV6's. We've had two of those engines (MG ZS 180 and 825 Sterling) with no bother at all.

As for the 1.8's, I think the internet highly inflates the issues with them too. Our 1.8 Freelander did need a HG doing, but was fine once done. Surprisingly it also wasn't much different on fuel compared to the Td4 Freelander that replaced it. That said, anyone buying a 1.8 should expect to do the HG at least once. But get it done right and they are cracking engines.

My TD4 manual averages around 39 and never does less than 36, the 1.8 is listed at around 27. I would say that you had a fault with the TD4 if it was anywhere near the same as the 1.8.

I had a TD4 auto a while back and it averged 32mpg

I think LR only rate the TD4 at 37mpg average. So consistently bettering that would also sound odd. That said, use and driving style are probably the biggest factors that affect mpg.

The TD4 usually does low 30's to around 35mpg. The 1.8 used to do highish 20's, maybe just into low 30's on a good run.

A difference, but not a huge one, even less so when 95RON is cheaper than diesel.