Oil on engine. 2005 td4 Adventurer

Pete12

Hi. This is my first post on this site. I have never owned a land rover before so please forgive my ignorance. I am in the process of buying a 2005 Freelander Adventurer TD4 Station Wagon which has 44.000 miles on the clock. The vehicle looks and drives very good. My concern is that when I looked at the engine there was some evidence of oil at the top of the right hand side of the engine near a large hose (sorry for my ignorance) It appears that it has been there for quite some time as it is black and almost dry (if that makes sense). I noticed this after a test drive and there didn't seem to be any 'fresh' oil.

Any advice regarding the possible cause, and if it something to worry about would be appreciated, as I have told the dealer I would decide if I was going to purchase the vehicle sometime next week.

Thanks

Pete

If it's a big fat rubber hose it's an intercooler hose, they "sweat" oil anyway but can also split or leak, easy & cheap to replace, there's full silicone kits on eBay - may as well get an EGR blanking kit while you're at it.

Then again, may as well also read the numerous other threads in this section on what to look for when buying a freelander, hint hint! ;)