1.8 Engine Removal/Refit

tjolliffe

Hi all,

After some advise on removing and refitting a 1.8 engine.

I have read a few threads and there are differences of opinion on whether it is easier to remove upwards or downwards from underneath.

I am aware RAVE says remove with the gearbox and IRD but I'd really rather not do that.

I have a workshop with a four post ramp and a forklift (ie. engine crane) so in that respect neither way is more or less tricky than the other.

Which way is easier? I beleive if it comes out of the top I have to remove the crank shaft pulley? As the engine i'm removing is scrap it doesnt matter on that one. The engine i'm putting in though has just had all new timing gear (along with head gasket and skimming). Will taking the crank shaft pulley off mess with the timing?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

It was a long time ago that i did it, but i definitely didn't remove the crank pulley and i removed upwards leaving the gearboxes behind, i can't remember it being a particularly difficult job, i did leave the pas pump behind with it's bracket from memory, seem to remember it fouling on something?