slight whinning noise from front end

carty

hi new on here so hello.

got a 2003 freelander had it for aroumd 9 months and its been brillant, great mpg tows my caravan with ease and haD NO ISSUES AT ALL. but recently i have heard a slight grumbling /whinning noise on and off sounds like maybe ird. it is not always there but it tends to happen at speeds over 60 ish i let off and within a few mins all is well again. marked the prop shaft when i brought the car and my white marks are still aliegned so dont think its vcu. any suggestions

thanks

carty

thanks for reply, well i thought the way to test the vcu was mark a straight line across the coupling joint in the centre of the prop shaft and mark a line across the two. if the line moves then the vcu is slipping and needs replacing if it does not then its fine. is that the case??? or have i got it wrong

cheers carty

thanks old hand just checked a few threads and realised it was the shafts i should have marked . will re mark and check plus might do the rear wheel check. the whinning soud is not always there . and the car drives very qiute and the gearbox shifts nice. there is no sound of bangs etc when reversing ether. i dont really go off road so would it be safe to remove the prop shaft and run in 2wd?? opinion seems split.. i see bell eng are now offering a 2wd ird unit which sounds a good option.

Removing the prop will not harm the vehicle and will give a slight improvement in MPG & will save wear on the IRD box. It may tend to wheelspin a little easier, but not excessivley so. I have used Freelanders with the prop removed for years when the IRD box was damaged, but if it's not 4WD, then why have a Freelander......

To be 100% safe, you should probably inform your insurance company.

checked the vcu using the white mark method and all is fine. tyre pressure was very low 10psi on one rear wheel so i think it may have been that. will take her for a long run and see. plus the two front tyres are showing slightly more wear then the front. so might change all 4 soon. will also check the ird gear level on monday when im back at work. cheers

well its fine now very quite :))) tyre pressures was the culprit. swapped the front and rears around aswell. and after 8 months of ownership still lovin the freebie. which for me is rare. i have owned about 50 odd cars serial car changer but i love the ride feel and fuel mpg combo. and i have just had my private plate fitted too so its here to stay. :))))