LT 230 input gear splines

Jamie_grieve

Does anyone have the dimensions of the various splines used on the LT 230's?
I'm particularly interested to see if the main shaft from a ZF S5 24 gearbox will fit. I've got three of these sitting in the shed but the only LT 230 I have to hand has much finer splines but I remember older ones had a coarse, maybe ten spline input from the LT77's they were fitted with? Equally anyone with an old gearbox lying around that could stick some verniers on the main shaft that would be much appreciated.

The S5 24 is a nice compact gearbox with a 6.34 1st gear which would give me a nice crawler gear for the bigger tyres I want to use. I also have one with a hydraulic pump on it I'd like to use which would leave the PTO on the LT 230 free for a mechanical winch. It has ten splines on the output and is very similar by eye to what I remember the old coarse Land Rover output spline to be.

Many thanks for all the replies. When I took it apart properly I realised my mistake. Looks like I'll have to get the middle of the drive flange from the ZF in the middle of the input gear. No dramas, all part of the fun. I know just the man for the job, he may keep us updated with any progress too.