Sequential Series Gearbox

Very much a day dream at this stage but something that occurred to me as an interesting project/idea was to modify a series gearbox shifting mechanism to make it sequential. When used in conjunction with an overdrive, and if the overdrives linkage was modified sufficiently, it could in effect yield a 6 speed gearbox, going R-N-1-2-3-3OD-4-4OD.

Advantages to my mind include:

> Highly banterous

> Reduces amount of middle seat passengers leg the driver is required to feel up when changing gear

> Addresses the need to shift two levers when changing from, for example, 4th to 3OD for a corner (something that catches me out often)

> Reduces number of levers in cabin

> Lends itself well to engine braking through gearbox

I was thinking of using a similar approach to some motorcycles as mentioned, so a drum, mounted with its axis lengthways, interfacing with modified selector rods. A ratchet on the drum to 'select' gear, and a means of changing axis of rotation by 90 degrees, perhaps with bevel gears, to facilitate shifting being push forward/pull back. A gear indicator might also be necessary, or at least a neutral light like on a bike.

Potential issues might include:

> Force required shifting exceeding limitations of above shifting method

> prohibitive cost to achieve

Anyone got any thoughts on the issue?

A lot of coaches have a switch on the gear lever for gear lo/gear hi. Most I've seen must have a switch on the clutch pedal too, that still being required before it will actually change.

I was thinking of fitting an air ram to The 109, but I've swapped to an LT77 anyway now.

You could fit a air operated ram on the linkage if you wanted to be fancy. There are kits available for well known quick cars and they look impressive

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9wazQZmOvbM

And being used......

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Js9jDlE8Lpo

Although it would be a huge project and possibly out of place in a Landrover

Cool idea.

But if overdrive shifting is your main concern, couldn't you do it like in the big american trucks where the range box (overdrive) is shifted with an air ram? They just have a button on the shifter to go from non-OD to OD.

just learn how to twin stick. majorly advantageous for driving awesomeness, thats what i do! ill try get a vid one day. my overdrive lever is extended to the same height as the main stick too for ultra awesomeness!

I have to be honest that the overdrive aspect was an added bonus, my main motivation was just that I would really like to have a sequential gearbox.. ..just 'coz. It'll be a while before this goes anywhere, due to cost on other priorities. If it does, my thoughts where to initially buy a second 'box, then using a spring weight scale (like the ones you use to weigh luggage) I could get an idea of the rough forces involved and design around that. Another thought was to design it so it has small roller bearing at the interface of the shifting rods and selector drum, such that the rod bit rolls along the shifting track (see below). This might reduce wear, as normally this stuff would be inside a gearbox, and therefore coated in oil, as well as making the motion smoother, as otherwise I envisage the friction cause by the resistive force of the gears selecting making it hard for the drum to rotate..

Picture below to add to relevance to that last speel, the bits of metal that sit in the grooves on the drum are what I'm referring to when I mention the 'interface'.

ballardoffendingbit2.jpg

The air rams sound cool, are they just pneumatic rams? Will have to give them a google either way. In terms of a non lever shifter I had been thinking of using electric solenoids (one push one pull as I couldn't find any remotely powerful enough that were push/pull) for the overdrive, but need to confirm if they can produce enough force, but then when I thought of this thought it might kill two birds with one stone.

I think the purely mechanical rotating guide as in the picture is the best way to do it as you don't need to worry about sequencing solenoids or other actuators, as the thing turns the selectors must move in the correct order. Otherwise you've got the issue that one sticky solenoid or a slightly wrong sequence could lock the box up.

I'm trying to work out if you can use two linked rotating actuators; one like the picture to move the selector rod fore/aft and another eccentric one to rotate it left/right. It's a head scratcher but seems like it should be doable.

ballardoffendingbit2.jpg

Sorry, to clarify on my personal thoughts, I was thinking of keeping it purely mechanical as well, just mentioned solenoid stuff as an aside. Not quite sure what you mean on the actuators fridgefreezer, but it may make sense in the morning; just had an interview, driven for 5 hours and rode the bike for another 3 so struggling with anything more conceptually difficult than sleep (which didn't stop me checking this to see if anything interesting had happened).

To be fair - if we didn't do daft projects 'cos we can'. It would be a dull life.

I dont disagree that we should try and improve things , but surely there has to be a logical need , to make it worthwhile , sequential shifts are about the last thing a landrover needs, the vehicle doesnt increase speed that rapidly that you need to get the next gear coz youve run out of revs that quick, and in a lot of landrover usage situations you need to short shift to use the vehicle well, which a sequential shift would preclude JMHO

just learn how to twin stick. majorly advantageous for driving awesomeness, thats what i do! ill try get a vid one day. my overdrive lever is extended to the same height as the main stick too for ultra awesomeness!

yes you do love showing off :D

• 2 weeks later...