freelander 2 juddering

WHO4 MUD

ok my sisters freelander 2 is having issuses

first didnt start

then it started and then it starts to judder at about 30-40

that was 6 weeks ago they took it to garage and they have cleaned the egr valve and all has been well till now it has started juddering again and also the exsaust fumes seem to be getting into the car !!

no one is availible to fix it so im tempted to clean egr again and check the exsaust for a bad joint.

is there any other reason that the car would judder?? its done 50 ish thousand.

many thank for any help

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Exactly the same is happening to my Freelander 2.2 auto. We had the egr and egr cooler replaced along with the fuel filter and I changed the crankshaft sensor myself. It disappeared initially after the new egr was fitted but has come back with a a vengeance so we tried the sensor and filter. Did you ever get to the bottom of the fault?

Kind regards

Simon

Hi Simon

wow this was a wile ago.

What happened in the end was they ended up putting two a few fuel additive bottle that you can get into the tank for cleaning the fuel rail then drive it around with higher revs so its a bit hotter so that would help clean the EGR. That was the advice given by a garage.

And that was the last of if to my knowledge they haven't had any problems since.

sorry I cant be any more help

oh and they have a manual not auto

Ben

Thanks for the follow up Ben it's greatly appreciated . The cars still in the garage but to my knowledge they haven't found anything yet. I was considering having a Terraclean on the motor if all this fails thinking it might clean the fuel system out. I'm guessing this would do a pretty similar job as the cleaner....

Thsnks again

Simon

Terraclean sounds like a trade name for snake oil :ph34r:

I'd suspect fuel system, either weak pump or clogged fuel filter or similar. EGR can certainly affect things more than you'd like (for example, stuck actuator leading to EGR being ON all the time) although sensors (MAF, MAP/boost, or even crank/cam sensor) can also do funny things. Rather than spend out on magic gunk, get a dealer to put it in the computer & check error codes & sensor readings.

Initially there were codes coming up for the EGR which was replaced along with the EGR cooler, the cam sensor and fuel filter were also replaced. Although the car is still juddering it is not registering any fault codes. The Terraclean was just a way of hopefully cleaning any potential carp from inside the engine after reading the post about fuel additives. Although it didn't sort the problem it is running a lot better now it's been done.

The cars going back to the dealers in two weeks for another scrutinising so hopefully they'll finally get to the bottom of it