Windscreen washer jets

So I was unloading the mobile bar off the roofrack tonight and stood on my windscreen washer jet (Defender 110 >my) even though I have lost some weight of late it did not hold up and broke offsad.gif .

Question is can I reach it without removing the dash i.e. through the dash/radio (have a center dash) or do I need to take the top off??

Jason.

I had to replace mine recently and ended up removing the dash top to get to it, some have said it can be done through the hole left if you remove the ashtray but I think you would need tiny girly hands to get in through there.

Taking the dash top off is not a big chore though, but it helps a lot if you have a flexible extension for a Pozi driver to get to the 3 main fixing screws (PZ3) and four screen vent screws (PZ2) on top.

Cheers Guys,

Had the dash top off a few times so does not phase me, I don't have an ashtray my GPS bracket is fitted there so even if I had tiny hands I would need to remove the dash to take that out!!!!

I think I may split the washer pipe and put a jet under each wiper. never easy is it!!!mad.gif

Now where is that thread about why I hate my Landrover!!

Jason.

I think I may split the washer pipe and put a jet under each wiper. never easy is it!!!

Might as well. It works better that way. I found, though, that two double jets was too much flow for the pump. So I changed to a double jet on the driver's side and a single jet on the passenger's side. This works great. If you want robust, you can get alloy single jet units (from a Series).

Use a long socket to take the nuts off and put them back on.

Single

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/9744/PRC2437-WASHER-JET-ASSEMBLY.html?page=3&search=washer%20jet&page=3

Alloy Single

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/11598/348641-WINDSCREEN-WASHER-JET-ALLOY-STEM.html?search=jet&page=1

Double

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/2707/AMR3025-SCREENWASH-JET-TWIN-NOZZLE.html?search=jet&page=1

Thanks Red90, I had already brought the bits today, went to my local LR dealer and got two double washer jets, went to halfords on the way back and got a 3/8 T Piece and a length of 3/8 pipe. (less than £5)

Dash off, pulled the gromets out and drilled them so that the washer jets could go through them, I then discovered that to connect the N/S jet I would need to remove the demister outlet so had to remove most of the front of the dash, which wasn't that difficult.

Connected the T to the old pipe and then connected up the new N/S Jet, just dipped the tube in a cup of hot water before final fitting to ensure they went on all the way. The O/S jet was eaiser as no heater vent in the way but I did have to cut down a washer to get a good fixing.

Job done, cable tied the tube to the wiper rod to prevent it getting twisted once I was sure there were no leaks!!!!!!! I also fitted a blanking gromet over the old hole (after the photo was taken)

Dash back all done in just under an hour, I had to strip the dash off anyway so a worthwile improvement... My pump has enough guts to power both two nozel jets so no issue there and I can actualy put water on my windscreen!!!! The only change I would have made is they also sold a Non Return valve I think it would have been worth fitting that before the T just go get a quicker squirt.unsure.gif

Just got to test on the motorway now. biggrin.gif

Jason.

post-15513-12741122566_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127411226939_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127411227852_thumb.jpg

Hmm, thinking about it...are you sure your tubing was 3/8 ID"?

Pretty sure mine is the standard 3/16". About 4mm.

Absoulty correct well spotted!!biggrin.gif I use 3/8" line in the brewery and guess had it on my mind it is:

3/16" line!!!

I did the two twin-jet conversion to my 90 10-years ago and it is very worthwhile however I did get slightly anoyed that at speed (70MPH) the water does have a tendancy to go anywhere other than on the screen so I recently fitted a twin-pump bottle from a later Defender and connected each nozzle to its own pump (I also fitted NRV's). A very simple conversion and one which has made a big improvement to an already good modification.

When it comes to replacing nozzles, don't mess about fiddling through the ashtray appature, just take the top rail off and have some decent access. It only takes minutes and makes the job a breeze.

I did hear (or read somewhere) that you could wrap a couple of turns of washer pipe round the hot water feed to the heater, and that makes the spray warmed and therefore more effective? not sure I buy that, cant see it working my self? does anybody have any experience of this?

My pump has enough guts to power both two nozel jets so no issue there and I can actualy put water on my windscreen!!!! The only change I would have made is they also sold a Non Return valve I think it would have been worth fitting that before the T just go get a quicker squirt.

There should be an NRV near the pump somewhere. If not, grab one. It can go anywhere in the line and does the same thing.

Just a quick update:

Took the Land Rover on the Motorway last night and YEA!!!!biggrin.gif I can now use my washer jets to put water on the screen and not create a useless water feature....

Jason.

• 4 years later...