Bulkhead Bottom Brackets

mwy1964

Hi All, have spent the last few weekends removing Floor pans and A-Posts ready for replacement with all new parts. Unfortunatly there really was not much left of the Bulkhead lower brackets, where they slide up into the A-Post to gather whether they are welded into the A-Post or not.

To me it looks like the bottom bracket is a sliding fit, within the A-post, and the lower hinge bolts hold this tight to allow a small degree of up and down adjustment of the bulkhead.

Could someone confirm my thinking or correct otherwise...

Thanks in advance

Mark

The bottom section that the bulkhead bolt goes through, sits inside the main section of the door pillar. If you are just replacing the bottom bit, then slide it inside the pillar, replace the bulkhead bolt, then weld it in place. If you are replacing the pillar and bottom bracket, then use the door to locate the pillar in the right place, clamp it, then weld it to the bulkhead.

gallery_2_315_237188.jpg

The bottom bracket is then fitted as described above.

Don't rely on the new parts being the same shape as the old, so use what you are going to use again to make sure the new parts are in the right place.

Les.

The bottom section that the bulkhead bolt goes through, sits inside the main section of the door pillar. If you are just replacing the bottom bit, then slide it inside the pillar, replace the bulkhead bolt, then weld it in place. If you are replacing the pillar and bottom bracket, then use the door to locate the pillar in the right place, clamp it, then weld it to the bulkhead.

gallery_2_315_237188.jpg

The bottom bracket is then fitted as described above.

Don't rely on the new parts being the same shape as the old, so use what you are going to use again to make sure the new parts are in the right place.

Les.

Hi Les, many thanks for the quick response. I am replacing both the bottom bracket and door pillar with the bulkhead in situ.. Not sure if this is going to be easy seeing your photo of the bulkhead on the bench. Also looking at your picture I had originally thought the new door pillar slid up into the top part of the bulkhead and was then welded. Your picture seems to show the top of the door pillar repair section exposed...

Is there a reason for this or is my original thinking wrong... I have experience restoring classic cars but this is my first Land Rover so please excuse what may be stupid questions. Just want to confirm how it fits together before I hack the old pillars out next weekend...

Many thanks

Mark

I removed the old pillar completely and then fitted the new one in it's place. Fitting the new one over the remains of the old one is bad practice and it also makes the edge that the door seal fits on too thick. When the bulkhead is finished, there's no step to spoil the line of the pillar.

Les.

I removed the old pillar completely and then fitted the new one in it's place. Fitting the new one over the remains of the old one is bad practice and it also makes the edge that the door seal fits on too thick. When the bulkhead is finished, there's no step to spoil the line of the pillar.

Les.

Thanks Les, dont worry it will all be cut out and replaced in full... No half measures here.. What I was referring too is in the the bottom left hand corner of the picture you can see the top of the replacement door pillar. Now, mistakenly or otherwise, I thought the top of the new door pillar slid up into the bulkhead. Your picture shows the new door pillar being let in to the the metal work around the bulkhead.

Could you confirm how this is done as I think my Land Rover may have had the previous door pillars bodged in by cutting at the crease 10mm up from the curve section of the door pillars and just butt welded in, which may be confusing me...

Thanks for your help

Mark..

Thanks Les, dont worry it will all be cut out and replaced in full... No half measures here.. What I was referring too is in the the bottom left hand corner of the picture you can see the top of the replacement door pillar. Now, mistakenly or otherwise, I thought the top of the new door pillar slid up into the bulkhead. Your picture shows the new door pillar being let in to the the metal work around the bulkhead.

Could you confirm how this is done as I think my Land Rover may have had the previous door pillars bodged in by cutting at the crease 10mm up from the curve section of the door pillars and just butt welded in, which may be confusing me...

Thanks for your help

Mark..

post-8409-1218994619_thumb.jpgpost-8409-1218994585_thumb.jpg

Thought it may be a bit easier to see with a couple of photos. The first shows the current Pillar joint below the top door hinge. The second the new door pillar.

The current door pillar joint does seem different to the new pillar and how you have fitted it in your picture leading to me thinking it has been bodged in the past..

The left hand one looks original to me - replacement panels aren't always the same as the old. In the picture I posted - it's the same as yours - I did trim it to fit though. You need to do some careful measuring, as there's a possibilty that the door will be out of line if the new pillar isn't in the right place, although there is a small amount of adjustment on the lockut nuts to allow for this.

Les.

The left hand one looks original to me - replacement panels aren't always the same as the old. In the picture I posted - it's the same as yours - I did trim it to fit though. You need to do some careful measuring, as there's a possibilty that the door will be out of line if the new pillar isn't in the right place, although there is a small amount of adjustment on the lockut nuts to allow for this.

Les.

Brilliant thanks Les... I have the joy of starting this over the weekend, weather permitting...

Many thanks

Mark

What a day... The old floor had been cut out already just needed cleaning up... Removed the old Bulkhead pillar and bracket (Fell apart due to rust)

IMG_0417.jpg

Finally got it back together again, held together temporarily with a few pop rivets

IMG_0419_1.jpg

Just the other side to do now and a half chassis... :blink: